1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My bike is dying

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Crock of Gold, 15 Apr 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

I started cycling to work last Summer. The bicycle, 1,400 miles later having endured potholes, rain, hail, wind, sun, the rider occupying the wrong gears up hill and down, is dying.

Ok, it's not in the final stages of malnutrition, forsitbite and bombardment a la the German 6th Army a couple of weeks before the Siege of Stalingrad ended, but it certainly will not endure another Winter I fear.

Both inner tubes being used as well as the spare are now patched

The reflectors have fallen off the pedals

The screws on the back-rack are rusted to the frame

The back-wheel rim is indented enough for a a discernible "bump"

The back-tyre is fraying slightly along a two-inch strip just where the rim got indented (the tyre was new 5 months ago)

There is a 1/4 inch cut in the tyre from going over glass

The lowest gear does not work as it rubs against the spokes protector thingie

The right handle end-stop is missing

There is a slight rusting in bits and pieces

It is now dirty and still full of Winter detritus.

BUT LIKE A MISTRESS UNABLE TO LEAVE A DRUNKEN, SPENDTHRIFT, USELESS LOVER IT IS LOYAL!!! It still gets me to my offices in an hour and 10 mins or so.

But I will soon leave it for a bright red, shiney, fixed.

Which, of course, will stay in the shed as I decide it's too nice, precious and new for my commute and will stick with the old. Which, no doubt, will continue working fine for many years.

2. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Have you thought of treating the old girl to a spa weekend and makeover (aka, full service and new parts)? Or are you afraid she'll then leave you for someone else?:evil:

3. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Wot Arch said - nothing's unfixable there, just needs a bit of TLC is all.

(Unless this is part of the case for the new bike, in which case, your old one is a write off, and anyone refusing funds for a new bike would, effectively, be sending you to your death).

4. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

The thing to do is to pick up on these things as they happen by regularly giving your bike a good looking over. Single faults are easier to fix and less time consuming.

If you don't feel confident servicing the bike yourself (and you can't be too careful with a bike that you commute on) get the LBS to quote for it. And if the bike isn't that expensive, and the faults prove severe enough, you might be better considering a new one.

5. MER Veteran

MER Veteran New Member

Min needs a clean badly.It's done 1800 since late September when it made it's debut although I didn't use it for the most of november.

6. walker

walker New Member

just sounds like normal wear and tear to me.

7. OP
    OP
    Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Slight correction. I've actually done 2,800 miles since last Summer.

Reason for the post is that I feel guilty about letting it go.

And also a sense of wonder at how robust the thing is.

It was a 2nd hand jobbie anyway when I bought it (sirrus specialized: £250).

And it is till going!!

I must admit there is a certain bit of tear and wear I'm allowing, to get my wifie to agree to me getting a 2nd bike which I want, I admit, purely for aesthetic reasons.

But, as I said, I do feel guilty for treating her so. The bike, that is. The pushbike that is. erm...

8. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Wear and tear I'd say - wheels buckle, tyres wear, things rust (if you don't look after them).

TLC, new parts and wheels and it will be like new. And another bike for better days......

You do need a few bikes - at least two minimum....

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

an hour and ten justifies a nice bike

my new nice bike has reduced my old hour to less that 50 minutes

do it, get the best bike you can afford, I wish I had a long time ago, it's completely different and so much more fun on a good bike

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

so all you actually need to buy is a new tyre, a bar end plug, and possibly a new wheel, and then the only actual problems with it are that it's a bit rusty.

11. John the Monkey

By chuff, £250 is a fair bit of cash to just let gently decay though...

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Yep - spot on... not much really..... no need to make mountain problems out of a mole hill - then again...he's probably trying to justify getting another bike - we'd all say fix the current one AND get another bike.... :tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

I've got terminal rear mudguard failure on the commuter - big snap right through it, slapped some evostick on it, if it doesn't work, I might just have to ride one of the road bikes into work, and really scare the commuters of South Manchester........ until I bolt the guard together..... ;)

13. John the Monkey

Yikes! Have mercy Fossy :tongue:

14. OP
    OP
    Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Cheers...

I wasn't expecting so many useful and helpful answers to a somewhat playful OP...

I'm buying a new tyre tomorrow (as since I posted the OP the fraying has resulted in a tear when I checked this evening). The rim should be alright. And in fairness I do wash and oil the cogs and chain weekly.

Have to say - when I bought the sirrus it felt like riding a cloud compared to my previous cheap hybrid. Now it feels sluggish - but only because I can cycle beyond it's means.

Like Lassie clambering up from a cliff-ledge with a broken paw, so my bike has leapt back into life!!!

15. historyman

historyman New Member

I've just been through this. Having short flat(tish) commutes in London I bought the cheapest new bike in Simpsons Cycles (Camden) 2005 January sale, a Falcon Routier, for £127. I used it for 3 years, maybe 4000 miles, treated it fairly badly, sold it for £11 on ebay. In that period I spent maybe £200 on equipment (lock, helmet, pannier, gloves, lights, clips), all of which I have kept, and had only one puncture and replaced the brake pads once.
    Have just upgraded to a Giant CRS bought on ebay for £120 (good 2ndhand) + £45 accessories (pedals, rear carrier). Already a much faster ride.
    I feel bad about not having serviced the original bike beyond its 3 years (but glad the guy that bought it knew his stuff and will straighten it out, it is in a fairly similar state to Crock of Gold's). Still, I couldn't've got my 4000 miles much cheaper. Or could I?