My Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Giant Terrago Disc (2005)

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

It does'nt get used off road so i've put some slick tyres on it ... but i think i'l end up buying something thats more suited to road riding and some light touring

Simon

stevenb

Nice bike. Clean lines too....:biggrin:
I don't think slick tyres do a MTB justice in the looks department....my Trek looks weird with slicks....much better with knobblies.
Not so sure about your saddle though mate....looks hoooooge.:tongue:

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
The saddle is the standard Giant one (no pun intended) and i think the Suspension forks make the tyres look silly on an MTB but i really cant decide whether to spend money getting this bike more road/touring orientated or buy something that is more purpose built for the job ? i do like the bike and it is a nice ride ... maybe once i've done qute a few long rides i'l have a better idea of what i want ?

Simon

simonali

Guru
I quite like that. My old school, slick-tyred MTB has forks that used to have about 50mm of travel and now have about 30 due to age, whereas the more modern bikes that have around 80-100mm look rather like they're doing a wheelie all the time to me, but this one's not too bad!

stevenb

I have contemplated ditching the Rock Shox forks I have in favour of some rigid forks (straigh blade PACE forks would be best)....but as Im selling my bike I dont think its viable at this time.

Having said that the MTB is certainly a bike thats versatile enough for off road, on road, commute and touring so you cant go wrong in terms of all round appeal. I use two sets of wheels on my Trek. One pair with slicks on them and the other with knobblies.....the suspension forks let it down for road use....not in terms of comfort...but unneccessary weight.

Zoiders

I swapped the sus fork on my saracen killi for a set of chromo rigid forks that came off a dawes, the frame was already light so weight dropped noticably in one go

If you want discs then rigid Kona P2s come with a disc tab and with out the £150+ price tag of a pair of pace carbon legged rigid forks

The original equipment forks on a lot of mid range MTBs, even good ones like the Giant you have there, are heavy undamped jobbies that hold the bike back, I wish they would offer more rigid bikes with better equipment and let you choose a fork of your own when you feel like it

If you plan to use it mostly on the road I would swap the risers for flat bars and bar ends as well, flat bars are dirt cheap these days and weigh next to nowt.

You can do all that and still spend a lot less than you would buying a Cannondale Bad Boy.

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Zoiders said:
The original equipment forks on a lot of mid range MTBs, even good ones like the Giant you have there, are heavy undamped jobbies that hold the bike back, I wish they would offer more rigid bikes with better equipment and let you choose a fork of your own when you feel like it

I agree Zoiders ... the Suntour front fork on my Giant is pretty much useless

I've had a quick look at the Kona P2's and they are around the £40 mark so i'l be ordering a set at some point over the weekend ... i find the Easton riser bars very comfortable when riding and as comfort is more important to me than speed i think i'l be keeping those (well i am 40 you know) ;)

Simon

Top Bottom