My bikes front gear doesnt shift properly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When i try change my gear at the front from the smallest to the biggest gear it doesnt switch and the chain doesnt properly attatch to the next gear.how can i fix this and is this a big problem because i just recieved my bike.its a trek fx2 disc

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Back to LBS if you’ve just got bike. Let them fix a new bike not shifting properly

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if its 2nd hand then search you tube for adjusting front derailleur. park tools do a good video

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like poorly adjusted or not adjusted at all or checked before it was sent out. The cause will be not enough tension on the cable, when in the lower gear (smaller ring).
If you bought on line it'll be more trouble than it's worth the get it back to the retailer so let your LBS do it for you.
If you're brave you could try yourself, it's not rocket science. All you'll need is a Allen wrench and a YouTube video.

View: https://youtu.be/zuFmkF5FoDY

Good luck.
BTW hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
It can be the gear cables stretching after the initial few rides and just needs a slight readjustment. The stronger you are and the harder you ride the greater this effect can be especially if riding off road. If bought from a bikeshop they will normally do this for free the first time after which you should be fine.

Top Bottom