My bike's poorly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
I know that this is going to sound pretty lame, but up until now my bike, a Trek 7.2, has been perfect, a joy to ride.

I decided to give it a proper clean last week, gave the chain some attention (hot soapy water, soft cloth, running the chain thru' the cloth to de-gunk it etc). I also used an old toothbrush on the cogs and stuff. I wasn't sure about lubing so asked Mr BP what to use and on which bits - he used the right stuff on the chain and also something on the derailleur.

Anyway, I was going to go out yesterday but it didn't feel right, and hubby identified that the chain was slightly touching in 2 and 3 on the big rings. Unfortunately for me, he has been to a beginners maintenance class and decided that he knew how to adjust the derailleur and proceeded to fettle to the point that the cable fell out. Cue trip to the LBS (thanks guys at All Terrain, Saltaire) they basically put it back together, acknowledging that there is an art to derailleur adjustment.

Last night we did a short 6 miler and although the gears are back in working order, it isn't the perfect machine that it had been before I decided to clean it, it just isn't the same. I thought that it might all bed back in but it hasn't. Should I take it back to the LBS, smile sweetly and ask them to tweek it a little more?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yes

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
My worry is that they'll say it is all OK, but it just isn't the same (I sound like a whiney 6 year old!!). My bike had no little ticks or quirks, it was perfect, and now it's not but I think the changes are very subtle and perhaps nobody will be able to tell but me!

Redvers

Nobody knows your bike as well as you do, trust your judgement, if you feel that things are not as they were then you are most probably right, something has changed.

And your suspicion that your LBS might not take you seriously is also well founded, even the best of them have a certain way of working and if the bike is basically safe, sound and functioning correctly they won’t look much further.

If the guys at All Terrain were helpful then it’s worth taking it back and having another chat with them or you could take this as a opportunity to learn a little more about your bike and maybe solve the problem yourself.

Something probably happened at the cleaning stage, water in the rear derailleur cable housing for example can make the cable change it’s usual feel or you may have accidentally shifted the derailleur barrel adjuster throwing the shifter index off slightly. Possibly some microgrit or gunk driven into the front derailleur pivot by over-enthusiastic cleaning.

Check out Sheldon Brown’s famous article on derailleur care and adjustment www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Bikes are very forgiving and things will probably drift back to normal in time but take it easy on the TLC ;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd agree with all the above - if your LBS was nice first time round, they probably will be again...and it does no harm to get to know them. Having said which, you say it'd not 'the same'...in what way? You wouldn't expect it to be quite the same, without its layer of gunk. All I'm saing is, maybe you've just got used to a certain amount of crap-cushioning, and now it's gone, it feels a bit.... chattery? Maybe that's how it's supposed to be? But your LBS is best placed to advise, and they won't hold it against you.

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
I'll have a read of Sheldon, may risk a little fettle if I feel brave enough!

I get what you're saying swee'pea, but from day one it has run sweet as a nut and me being a bit of a wimp, it hasn't done hundreds of miles before I cleaned it. The best way to describe it would be a little "grindy" and the gear change isn't as effortless as before, it complains a little on the shift. Chattery is a good expression, but it's something new for us!

I appreciate the input everyone.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chattery on gear change is either badly adjusted mech and/or cable drag...so have a good fettle.....

Grindy could be how you cleaned the chain, and washed carp inside the rollers.... best to lube, wipe, wipe and wipe some more......

Globalti

Legendary Member
Change the cable outer at the rear derailleur, it will need changing every 6-12 months to get the best and cleanest shifting.

redjedi

Über Member
This is a great video for showing how to adjust your rear derailleur.

I always like to give it a go first before falling back on the LBS. It's nice to know how to fix something yourself whenever you need to.

You should also check to make sure no water got into the cable housing. Slide it off, wipe cable, re-grease and put back together.

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
Thanks for the help everyone. I will have a proper look on Thursday when not at work. Hubby got a new workstand so I should be able to get a good look if I clamp it on there, laptop to one side of course!

Top Bottom