My Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh Pirate

Hello all!

I've been lurking on CC website for ages and have been meaning to post pictures of my bikes after drooling over everyone elses!

photostream
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/[ATTACH=full]186061[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]186061[/ATTACH]

This is my Van Nicholas Yukon. I use it every day to commute to work. i've had it for a couple of years and have done about 9k miles on it.

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/50496736@N06/4634884373/in/photostream/
2uqypo8.jpg

The Pearson is my favourite - i did LeJog on it last summer - its a fab bike - I did use it every day to work, but it started getting scratched in the bike park, so it gets used for tours and days out. I've done about 6k on it so far.

photostream
fuvn75.jpg

I've recently had my Ridgeback re-sprayed. I use it for shopping and other odds and ends. It was fantastic in the snow (with off-road tyres fitted) over the winter.

photostream
mkhg21.jpg

Finally, my Cannondale, which I'm ashamed to say doesn't get much use as its the least practical bike of my collection.

anyway, I hope the links work!

Attachments

• 21l51ld.jpg
    21l51ld.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0

Jugular

Those bikes look really nice, very well kept as well. I wish I had the know-how and discipline to clean my bikes to that standard.

I like that the Ridgeback has had a respray so that it's a little more incognito. Whats the difference between your Pearson and the Van Nicholas? They both appear to be similar to my untrained eye.

OP
OP
W

Welsh Pirate

Cheers!

They are my main form of transport, so i try to keep them in good condition - although in the middle of winter they can get covered in road crap, and as soon as I clean them, it always seems to rain!

The Van Nicholas and the Pearson are very similar. The main differences are the Van Nich is titanium, slightly lighter and has more flex around the rear triangle. The Pearson has a Reynolds 631 frame and a more relaxed riding position.

I bought the Van Nicholas primarily as my commuting bike as it won't rust and scratches can be polished out. Although, if i'm honest, I just fancied another bike (hope the mrs doesn't read this as I spent ages convincing her of the necessity of the purchase!!!)!

Jugular

I had discounted the idea that it was Titanium. I always was under the impression that Ti bikes were rather expensive and desirable. I hope you have a good lockup at work.

After having gone carless in Feb the quality of my bikes has been of more importance to me, still spending more than £1000 on a bike is difficult territory with the fiance.

OP
OP
W

Welsh Pirate

The Ti frame wasn't cheap, but i had some compensation from being knocked down by a car. I built the rest of it up from undamaged components from the previous bike (a Ribble Winter Audax) and replacement parts.

By not using public transport to get to work, I save about £1200 a year - money which goes on cycling instead! I've been commuting by bike now for 6 years and have gradually expanded my fleet to what it is now. I do all the servicing and repairs myself. I've also started to build my own wheels. All of what I know has been picked up from forums like this one, Sheldon Brown's legendary web site and the Park tool site.

Cyclist33

What's your commute? 1000 quid a year is a big saving. Anyone who can con their better half that they need not one but four bikes gets respect in my book.

Cyc

OP
OP
W

Welsh Pirate

I live in the big smoke, 10 miles (approx) each way, a zone 1-3 travelcard is £1208 a year for the privelidge to travel on an unreliable, hot & overcrowded network!

I think the Mrs has given up by now. Plus she's got the technical know-how of a newt, so if I 'need' a new, expensive bit of kit, I just explain that tits unfortunate, but I have to spend x amount to repair the bike!:blush:

OP
OP
W

Welsh Pirate

No they are not nicked, and I have the receipts to prove it! :blush:

Simply I'd rather be known as Welsh Pirate, rather than my real name.

Anyway, I'd have to be f***ing stupid to steal the bikes, take photos of them without peeling off the name stickers and post them on a forum of cycle enthusiasts!xx(

Cyclist33

Welsh Pirate said:
I live in the big smoke, 10 miles (approx) each way, a zone 1-3 travelcard is £1208 a year for the privelidge to travel on an unreliable, hot & overcrowded network!

I think the Mrs has given up by now. Plus she's got the technical know-how of a newt, so if I 'need' a new, expensive bit of kit, I just explain that tits unfortunate, but I have to spend x amount to repair the bike!:laugh:

Good going. I wouldn't relish commuting au tube either.

Cyc

Top Bottom