my birthday present...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emu

from my husband was a sat nav for my car :tongue: I'd asked him for a new saddle for my rockhopper (it's saddleless), new cycling shoes and SPDs. I couldn't hide my disappointment and my 9 year old asked him why he couldn't have bought me what I wanted. My husband doesn't drive, nor do I drive him around very often nor do I often drive to places I don't know. Am I being unreasonable and totally ungrateful?

Bigtallfatbloke

Either....tell him he bought the wrong type get it exchanged for a cycle gps.

Or.....Programme in the LBS , tell him to come with you so you can show him how much you like your new toy, and then while you are at the lbs flash your eyebrows and wink a lot and he'll buy what you wanted anyway.

:tongue: :?:

Find out the postcode of your bike shop, tap it in and get saddled and shoed - easy peasy.

Emu - don't make a Rod for your own back!:tongue:

Happy Birthday for whenever - may you have a s many as you can.

:tongue: :?: :biggrin: :smile: :laugh: :laugh: :smile: :idea: :idea:
cake,cake,cake,cake,cake

bftbloke and I have great minds - obviously. I'm just fatter and slower at typing :cry:

OP
OP
Emu

Emu

I quite often have my wiggle basket up on the computer at home. I've talked enough about my needs and wants, he's overheard phone conversations about what I wanted for my birthday. The kids knew what I wanted. I have to admit that a divorce lawyer would be very handy. I think sat nav was the last straw.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh dear - a classic case of buying someone the thing you want yourself perhaps?

Oh, hang on, he doesn't drive you say...

In that case I suspect it's a case of Useless Man Syndrome. Just like the set of posh body lotion and scent set I got one Christmas from a chap - obviously picked up in the 'for her' section of Debenhams, and not remotely 'me'... Satnav is the thing to have, so he thinks 'get one, it's bound to be a good idea...'

I don't think you're being ungrateful to be disappointed, but some people just don't have the knack. Does he often get it so wrong? If so, ask for the money in future... Sometimes, you do have to just grin and bear it (with grannies perhaps, or distant relatives who haven't seen you for years), but hubby really ought to try and get it right, or just let you buy the thing.

If you are in a position to afford it, just go out and buy a thing you want yourself, and 'give it' to yourself. Wrap it up even!

Still, it sounds like your kid has the right idea - an ability to listen to people. Nurture that... And in future you can develop a game - every Christmas and Birthday, have a guess each at what daft thing Dad will get... :tongue:

And Happy Birthday!
:?:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Can't you just buy the things you need/want for yourself. Otherwise you'll have to wait another year.

Bigtallfatbloke

..ah there you see...thats what you did wrong....dropping hints....blokes just dont get them....it's a fact when it comes to stuff like this you ladies need to be more 'direct' and make it easy for him.
Use phrases like:

"Look here you pillock, it's my birthday on.../.../... and I want you to go to this shop (URL) and buy me this...and that..(be specific). It will cost you £.......but I am worth it you d#ck#ead!
Be aware that should my command not be obeyed to th eletter your sexual priviledges will be terminated permanently"

Best put it in writing as well and remind him each day for a month prior to the day.

I find the easiest way for me to remember my wifes birthday is to get her to buy what she wants and give her my credit card number....simple and easy to remember...

.oh wait...sorry...forgot...it's lacking romance and the 'thought'...hmm...ok.....if it's the thought that counts then I can go and buy anything at all and it will be ok right?...I mean i thought about it and I didnt forget it..so i'm ok...right?....Dam I hate shopping....ok where is the nearest shop....they'll have something.....doesnt matter what....That is how a blokes mind works.

p.s.

I once bought my then girlfriend an ironing board for Christmas...that was 28 years ago and she is still telling her friends about it :?: :biggrin: :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
ivancarlos said:
On a rant now but I hate satnav. Since when did everyone become so moronic that they couldn't read a map? And you can get route finders on tinternet for free :tongue:

Did anyone see the report yesterday about adults who couldn't answer "what is one eighth of 32?" One girl hazzarded a guess at "40?" And another used the calculator on her phone to guess at 4, "because this says it is, I think..."

Anyway, back to Emu's gift dilemma. When is hubby's birthday? Could you buy him a saddle and some SPDs?

I think it's a man thing... my other half, bless him - he's a lovely man - gets me things that 'he thinks I should have' for my birthday. Sometimes this is fantastic - for example, Campag Centaur stuff, Pace RC31s (rigid carbon mtb fork), and last birthday some RockShox Revelations (5" travel adjustable mtb fork) which are incredibe. I didn't really realise I needed these things but when they turned up I loved them!
Other times he buys me things I already have that are OK, but a better version - like an upgrade. I don't quite get that part... but i'm not complaining, more observing! He knows that bike stuff is always a winner. I would add that 's also a cyclist so he appreciates all that stuff.

fuzzy29

I agree, who really needs Twat Nav? If you can't read a map, you shouldn't be allowed to drive!

When asking for bike stuff, I usually find what I want from an online retailer and email the link to whoever is buying it for me. No excuse if they get it wrong then!

PS. Happy Birthday

bonj2

perhaps he doesn't agree with the practice of asking for what you want for a birthday present, and thinks it should be a surprise - something you wouldn't have bought for yourself anyway. The fact that you asked for cycling stuff indicates that's the sort of stuff you would (probably will?) buy yourself anyway.

A female friend was given an external hard drive for her birthday. Not the most romantic gift and she didn't try to hide the fact she was dissapointed. She ended up being heavily wined and dined for a few weeks and got an expensive i-pod too so it could be worth putting him on a guilt trip.

Top Bottom