My Brompton pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
Here's some pictures of my Brompton. You can see my security system (see sticker on frame) noodle on front brake, QR on handle post, home made $5 seat bag, two front chainrings on a 110 BCD crank with 58/38 and Velo Orange model 6 saddle. Sometimes it is nice to see how someone else has set things up. Oh, that is a 3 speed Sturmey shifter which works fine with the 2 speed shifter on the rear wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_094344.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094344.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20190203_094338.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094338.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20190203_094330.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094330.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20190203_094308.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094308.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20190203_094256.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094256.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20190203_094248.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094248.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20190203_094244.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094244.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 148

Happy69

Regular
Cool brompton

Here's some pictures of my Brompton. You can see my security system (see sticker on frame) noodle on front brake, QR on handle post, home made $5 seat bag, two front chainrings on a 110 BCD crank with 58/38 and Velo Orange model 6 saddle. Sometimes it is nice to see how someone else has set things up. Oh, that is a 3 speed Sturmey shifter which works fine with the 2 speed shifter on the rear wheel.
Love the sticker.

cheys03

Veteran
Looks good! Love the shifter, very neat

Front derailleur by Clark's I presume.
Other footwear brands are available.
It’s quite common to do the double chainring without a derailleur, shifting to the small ring becomes second nature. Shifting back up requires greater skill, usually with a convenient stick.

QR on the handlebar :eek:
Yeah this is a bit odd with a straight bar, presume the levers and bar ends have a ‘ride’ and ‘fold’ position by rotating the bars?

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
Nah, I lost the odd sized stem bolt and had a QR. The bar ends rub hard on the tire when folded and actually hold just fine. Thanks to those who liked my little mule.

Kell

Veteran
I was trying to think of the things I've done to mine.

First off was the bars. Removed the upright M/H bars and went for a low-rise wider bar with bar ends.

Then I think it might have been the Joseph Kusoac rear suspension block. Which is w-a-a-a-a-a-y firmer than the firm Brompton block.

Then a new Shimano Bottom Bracket.

Then Swisssop pads.

Then a new (lime green) Brompton saddle.

And this weekend, I replaced both mudguards with black edition versions after my rear one broke completely.

I'll try and get some pics this weekend.

Kell

Veteran
I have to say, before I got mine, I felt they were very old-fashioned. I only seemed to see them in British Racing Green with Brooks saddles.

There's nothing wrong with that (if you like that sort of thing), but I didn't. Hence I ended up with a succession of other folding bikes.

On the one hand, I'm pleased I waited for mine because the colours were better and it has the uprated brakes, but on the other hand, it's the bike I should have bought originally as I wasted so much money on inferior bikes that were literally worthless when they broke.

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
I had seen bike friday pocket rockets whipping around the bike paths in Denver, Co when we visited family. Intrigued, I tried some at a Denver lbs and didn't like them at all. Went in another shop where I encountered Bromptons about which I had never heard. At the time I rode fixed gear bikes with low bars and tried a single speed red and black S type without fenders. I liked it and bought it along with one of those big shopping bags for the front. They had a dark green but it was an M6 and a tan one which reminded me of changing diapers. So I bought the red one, although red aint my favorite. In retrospect, an X would have been better. I doubt there is another in Wyoming where I live. In the 60+ years I've ridden bikes it is one of my favorites, along with a Witcomb Superlite, a Fuji track, a Surly Steamroller and a Holdsworth Special. Because the low top tube makes it so easy to get on and off it will probably the last one I ride when too old and decrepit to ride anything else.

I had seen bike friday pocket rockets whipping around the bike paths in Denver, Co when we visited family. Intrigued, I tried some at a Denver lbs and didn't like them at all. Went in another shop where I encountered Bromptons about which I had never heard. At the time I rode fixed gear bikes with low bars and tried a single speed red and black S type without fenders. I liked it and bought it along with one of those big shopping bags for the front. They had a dark green but it was an M6 and a tan one which reminded me of changing diapers. So I bought the red one, although red aint my favorite. In retrospect, an X would have been better. I doubt there is another in Wyoming where I live. In the 60+ years I've ridden bikes it is one of my favorites, along with a Witcomb Superlite, a Fuji track, a Surly Steamroller and a Holdsworth Special. Because the low top tube makes it so easy to get on and off it will probably the last one I ride when too old and decrepit to ride anything else.
The low tube and standover height was also a big Brompton motivator for me after a total hip replacement I cant swing my leg over larger, more standard bikes. I have three folders now...

The Brompton also tickles my fancy for the odd, and unusually engineered.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I will add that in snowy weather the Brommie is my ride of choice. When it slides away from under you, there's a lot less of it to tangle you up as you hit the deck.
The T-Bag might look deeply uncool, but it's the best luggage solution I've ever had on a bike. I've toured for ten days using it.

Top Bottom