My bum has shrunk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No, this is not another weight loss tale :laugh:
What happened is this: my first "real" bike (real as opposite to a BSO), Boris is his name, came equipped with the most enormous gel saddle. I've been riding Boris happily for almost a year.
In the mean time I got myself Gonzales, who came equipped with a thin racing saddle. That saddle was a bit too hard for me, so I changed it for another, still thin racing style, because it was cheap in Aldi's :whistle:
Because I'm lazy in changing gears, I tend to use Gonzales more for the commute, as I can handle the small hills with him by just flicking the gear lever twice on the whole journey.
Recently I noticed that Boris's big gel saddle was suddenly not agreeing with the same bum it ferried about for so long: they were positively having a clash of personalities!
Hey, presto, another narrow saddle for Boris, he's again a pleasure to ride.
I put all this down to me slowly slowly metamorphosing into a "serious cyclist".
Whatever next? Will it be the Lycra? ;)

Sandra6

Veteran
I suggest more cake.
We can't have you on a carbon road bike in team sky lycra now can we?!

snorri

Legendary Member
I put all this down to me slowly slowly metamorphosing into a "serious cyclist".
Whatever next? Will it be the Lycra? ;)
I just can't imagine you ever becoming a serious cyclist Pat"5mph", although you are definitely on the verge of hardcore:thumbsup:.
As for the lycra, well that's your choice, but my club is strictly non lycra:sad:.

Edited following change of mind.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

I just can't imagine you ever becoming a serious cyclist Pat"5mph", although you are definitely on the verge of hardcore:thumbsup:.
As for the lycra, well that's your choice, but my club is strictly non lycra:sad:.
Hey, I'm already hardcore: 5mph, but hardcore, getting ice tyres this winter for the commute and for the coffee meetings in town. Never taking the bus again, me! :wahhey:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hey, I'm already hardcore: 5mph, but hardcore, getting ice tyres this winter for the commute and for the coffee meetings in town. Never taking the bus again, me! :wahhey:
I was very nearly tempted to get ice tyres while visiting the lakes. Had an interesting conversation on the merits with the guy in Ghyllside Cycles.:addict:

I want some Marathon Winters but my bit of Shropshire doesn't get icy often enough to justify the expense.:sad:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

I was very nearly tempted to get ice tyres while visiting the lakes. Had an interesting conversation on the merits with the guy in Ghyllside Cycles.:addict:

I want some Marathon Winters but my bit of Shropshire doesn't get icy often enough to justify the expense.:sad:
Well, I guess I will be using the "ice bike" :biggrin: for about 6 weeks here in Glasgow town. I picked up a mb for £ 35.00. Tyres will be about £ 90. Got a free bike doctor check up coming to work, so we will see if my Maurine (Oh, she's cheap :laugh:) will be up to the job.
It's worth for me to have a bike ready for icy conditions as December/January/February are the months when I'm most likely to have very early morning starts and very late evening finishes, the roads are iced up then.
Also I have to ride near water, you get more icy patches near the river.
The money I save on taking taxis during Christmas/New Year, when I've got no public transport, will pay for the tyres.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Saddles, obviously. Maybe they shrunk in the rain.

BigSaddle.jpg
SmallSaddle.jpg

sittingbull

Veteran
Have you met my Boris? He's a big boy! :biggrin:
Great choice of light he has there! I use two of them, reckon they must be some of the best value lights out there. One of mine made a bid for freedom after sudden vibration on a rumble strip and despite bouncing and skidding it survived intact ^_^

Apparently you can make your own ice tyres with some old tyres and a box of self tapping screws - there are instructions available :excl:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My, Boris is a sturdy lad. Must stick lights on my hybrid too. Went out really early this morning as it looked so lovely but a mile or so into the road and it got really misty. Kept going since it was so quiet but visibility wasn't very good in bits. Back safely though and having brekkie now.

Regarding your saddle, I do believe they say that the padded, comfy looking ones are not actually that comfy once you start doing more miles so, yes, definitely sounds like you are now a serious cyclist! ^_^

Top Bottom