My car (with keyless entry system) was broken into last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason

It's getting to the point where cars need a D Lock on the steering wheel

Levo-Lon

Guru
Dont leave valuables in a car..
Its better to have the car opened by a gadget than your glass smashed.
Or the door lock forced.

They cant steal the car easily anymore so be more careful with your fob.
Burglary is more likely with the modern car.
Everyone wanted the manufacturer to make cars harder to steal..they have.
The thief has to change their game to steal your car , so a valuable car may get you attacked and robbed , tough choice?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This is very true and also too clever for the average mechanic trying to fix them
Modern mechanic are utterly reliant on computers to tell them what the problem is otherwise they are f*****d. And even then, they don't fix parts anymore, just replace them with brand new ones,hence the enormous price tag. My local mechanic can strip a gearbox or an engine and rebuild it, he can tell what the problem is just by listening to the car or a short drive. Modern mechanics can't do that anymore. Shame.

Tin Pot

Guru
Ha ha ha! I love how stupid people are! Life would be so boring without ignorance and naïveté. :laugh:

A group of researchers recently found that the average modern high-end car now contains over 100 million lines of code...

Of the network architecture:

This means that the window switches have a potential path of communication to the brake controller, the entertainment system has a channel to communicate through to the vehicle’s airbags, and so on.

It's from SANS in 2015.
If you know IT you'll enjoy this:

https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/ICS/developments-car-hacking-36607

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember my first car. It was a 1965 Mini with i think,an 850cc engine. It had a kind of washing line to pull the doors shut,a rubber button near the pedals to ignite the engine, windows that pulled open,like the old bus drivers cab ones and the windscreen washer didn't work,so i copied the idea from the Butterflies tv comedy of the time of using a washing up liquid bottle with a fish tank air pipe directed at the screen. All very basic but very little to go wrong. Except the gearbox went kaput and i had to scrap it.:unsure:
Kids today wouldn't be seen dead in such a thing. I offered to let my daughter drive my newly acquired Suzuki,if/when she passes her test. "Pfft,i'm not driving that pensioner car",she replied:ohmy:. We were grateful of anything that was going for a few hundred quid. Now it has to cost at least 5 grand or it's not worthy of being seen in,to them,
Kids eh! They don't know they're born t'day!:headshake:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AcJSkUw6M

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I still can't figure out what was wrong with a good, old fashioned key. Some people love keyless entry and rant about how they had to drive the wife's car which needed a key and almost had a nervous breakdown as a result. Well, they must get a right cob on when their front door doesn't automatically unlock when they approach.

The laziness of not being bothered to even use a key sums up the mindset of the typical car driver perfectly.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Modern mechanic are utterly reliant on computers to tell them what the problem is otherwise they are f*****d. And even then, they don't fix parts anymore, just replace them with brand new ones,hence the enormous price tag. My local mechanic can strip a gearbox or an engine and rebuild it, he can tell what the problem is just by listening to the car or a short drive. Modern mechanics can't do that anymore. Shame.

Very true

Top Bottom