My car (with keyless entry system) was broken into last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
My car was broken into last night, but there was no sign of a forced entry.

It has a keyless entry system - if the key fob is in your pocket the car unlocks itself as you approach it. It also locks itself as you walk away.

Googling suggests that you can buy a bit of kit for about £80 that enables you to break into cars with keyless systems:rolleyes:

I had about £200 worth of stuff stolen:sad:

Talking to the lease company (it's a company car) today they pretty much said there's nothing that can be done. The code for the key can be changed but the bit of kit that's available will still work.

The car is now empty, but it's a bit of an odd feeeling knowing that it might not be there when I wake up tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
[QUOTE 4962010, member: 259"]Which make was it?[/QUOTE]

Jaguar XE.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've heard that they use a device to boost the signal from the RF chip in the key to the car which unlocks the doors, and on some models allows them to press the start button and drive the car away.

One solution, apparently, is to put your keys in a metal box which blocks the signal.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've heard that they use a device to boost the signal from the RF chip in the key to the car which unlocks the doors, and on some models allows them to press the start button and drive the car away.

One solution, apparently, is to put your keys in a metal box which blocks the signal.

Ford Transits had a similar problem a few years ago.

mr.conrad

I'll try mine with tinfoil, I guess the microwave would be good.

Tin Pot

Guru
According to thatcham your motor gets almost top security marks.

IMG_9160.PNG

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Top Bottom