My chain snapped!! : What now? ( newbie questions )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Your bike is ****ed.
Give me £5 and ill take it off you;)

But seriously, take out that link and join up again.
What you have to do it work it out so when you come to shorten it, you have two 'inner' links, so you can just shove the quick link in.
Remove that outer link. Your chain will either be slightly too short, or be alright.
Shouldnt be any problems though.

Dont ride with it like that! Its a stiff link.
Ive got rid of stiff links before when ive joined up a small bit of chain for my keys, but not sure id do it if i was going to rid on it.
What i had to do was get a flat headed screwdriver in the link, turn it so it pushed the links apart, and it should go free. If it goes too far you just push it closed with the chain tool.
I wouldnt reccomend doing this though, it may just **** up and snap.

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Cheers guys, I actually went back and read the instructions ( not like me, RTFM and all that ) which came with the park tool and it mentioned if you had a "tight link" after assembly then to place the links on the "tight link cradle" of the tool and turn the handle slightly to loosen the link.

Did it and it worked a treat, thankfully. :tongue:

Mr Pig

You don't want to be putting link back into a new chain. The idea is to remove them at the right place so that you end up with the length you want without having to refit any links. The link you rejoined will be weaker.

Top Bottom