My copper-plated Brompton finally arrived!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yeah, maybe if you're doing Alpine tours. The only Alps I encounter on my cycle tours are the Dutch kind.

I'm not massively keen on the aesthetics of disk brakes, but mostly I just can't see the point, given that I can lock either wheel with the standard brakes.

Also not ideal for folding bikes anyway, the folding and transportable nature means its relatively easy to bend a disc by accident especially with the small wheels. Disc brakes make sense generally but for folding bikes less so. Generally it's relatively rare to see them on small wheel folding bikes except gimmicky cheap chinese folding bikes. Hub brakes would be the best upgrade for Brompton brake wise I think although saying that don't actually know if such an upgrade exists.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Hub brakes would be the best upgrade for Brompton brake wise I think although saying that don't actually know if such an upgrade exists.
Bromptons can have a lot of competition going on for the hubs – gears and dynamos ... I'd love to see a combined hub dynamo and brake for the front wheel.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Also not ideal for folding bikes anyway, the folding and transportable nature means its relatively easy to bend a disc by accident especially with the small wheels. Disc brakes make sense generally but for folding bikes less so. Generally it's relatively rare to see them on small wheel folding bikes except gimmicky cheap chinese folding bikes. Hub brakes would be the best upgrade for Brompton brake wise I think although saying that don't actually know if such an upgrade exists.
I've had a disc on the back of my Brompton for nearly a year now and love it. Hub brake for front was available for a while but you lose the hub dynamo option. Kinetics and Vostok do disc capable forks and rear triangles.

mitchibob

Über Member
I'm not massively keen on the aesthetics of disk brakes, but mostly I just can't see the point, given that I can lock either wheel with the standard brakes.

How about with ABS? Actually, that'd be damn scary, especially on a morning like today (i.e. first slight dampness after the orange sky event... kojaks were losing grip everywhere).

Just scrub that entire thought. I agree. Brakes have been way better on my Brompton than anything I remember of any of my bikes as a youth, even in the wet. The mechanism might be pretty much the same, but the pads or something have certainly improved immensely. Or perhaps I was too cheap to buy the expensive pads with the proceeds of my paper round?

Your bike looks amazing. Not what I was expecting when I read the headline in my RSS reader. A bit of me expected to see something like the pipes I can see in the hole in my ceiling at the moment. I wonder what weight it adds?

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Haven't weighed it – the Rohloff will weigh more than the plating – but it's actually lighter than my 8-speed (which I'll be selling shortly).

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I don't ride bromptons. I don't covet bromptons. I don't want a brompton. ...and yet, this one... its ungodly pretty.

12boy

Guru
Out of curiosity, when the parts were plated were they immersed so the plating is on the inside as well as the outside or did they plug all the ingress points on the parts? If the whole part was immersed was there extra material on the BB threads, seat tube, hinges etc? I assume the plating is very thin, and if the whole thing is plated would prevent rust forever?

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Out of curiosity, when the parts were plated were they immersed so the plating is on the inside as well as the outside or did they plug all the ingress points on the parts?
It's basically the outside only, but I think they immersed the hinges, etc. I know Ben had to remove some of the plating from places it shouldn't have been, is assuming threads, etc.

Top Bottom