My crack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Photo 11-03-2018, 12 05 47.jpg
Photo 11-03-2018, 12 06 10.jpg

I noticed this when I was cleaning my 2009 Giant Defy. It is a very small line in the top weld. No other area has issues.

I don't think it is a big deal but I guess I need to keep an eye on it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you the original owner? Lifetime frame warranty if so.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Your frame is dead, it ain't going to get any better and will eventually fail completely, possibly catastrophically just when you most need it not to. You will probably get a few more rides out of it but I wouldn't push your luck!

IMO this is a design weakness of this type of frame and from a structural point of view I just can't get my head around the reason for staggering the intersection of the seat stays, seat tube and top tube in this manner without bracing the other side of the seat tube upto the top tube, ala' GT triple triangle.

upload_2018-3-12_9-20-50.png
upload_2018-3-12_9-22-6.png

Unfortunately, I have a frame similar to yours as I had a traditional style GT frame that was replaced under warranty with this...

upload_2018-3-12_9-24-6.png

davidphilips

Veteran
Another option if you know any one with a mig is drill small holes at each end of the crack then have it welded and use an extra long seat post to go a few inches past the crack, but if its design fault and it has cracked once perhaps another frame may be the best option?

vickster

Legendary Member
Get it replaced if you’re the original owner and this covered by a lifetime warranty (assuming Giant offered such back then)

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Are you the original owner? Lifetime frame warranty if so.

I am - and I have the receipt.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I am being overdramatic and I know that material things are not important, but I LOVE MY BIKE and I am pretty fed up. I have a spare bike, I am fortunate. I will live. I will search for the bike receipt later, and try and dig out the warranty in the booklet. I know that bikes after 2011 get the frame warranty, before then I don't know.

Dropped seat stays are to try and improve comfort, by ‘disrupting the transmitted shock’s pathway’ they do have a tendency to fail at that point though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom