My crack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well. In that case its clearly the work of Putin and the FSB.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
OK. The bike is 2009 and there is no lifetime warranty on my frame. I won't be getting a replacement any day soon.

I will continue to ride it and see if the crack increases (of course it will) until it is no longer safe to do so.
I like the suggestion of drilling two holes and welding, and the sooner I do that the better.

I will check the seatpost length at the weekend. I was planning on getting a new bike next year so if I can make it last the year I will be happy.
I can probably get a replacement frame on ebay for not too much so I will keep an eye out.

I have replaced every component on the bike over time except the handlebars, stem, and brifters. Everything else has been upgraded or died over time.
The bike has lasted 9 years and has some about 25,000 miles so I am not at all disappointed. I might even hang it on a wall!

I would have liked to have kept it as a winter bike, it is ideal. I have a steel winter bike already though. Need a bigger garage!

the snail

Guru
I will continue to ride it and see if the crack increases (of course it will) until it is no longer safe to do so.
I wouldn't chance it, I think it is likely to fail suddenly and without warning. I wouldn't be happy riding a steel frame with a crack like that, but steel at least tends to fail more gradually and become bendy before it fails completely. Aluminium is quite likely to go straight from damaged to snapped without any warning.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
The weld has clearly cracked at the toe. Alu is notoriously difficult to weld. It needs a load of preheat and if it doesn’t get it then it will cool too quickly and crack. Simples

Top Bottom