My daughter wants a BSO.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Thank you for the replies and recommendations. My daughter liked the look of the Btwin Riverside 120, so I've ordered one of those for her and it should be arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know when it turns up and how she gets on. Thanks again for your input :smile:

The Riverside 120 looks great value with a freehub/cassette based drivetrain with a wide ratio. You rarely see that at this price range unless an offer. I don't do the wholesale recommendation of Btwin that others do but you can't argue with that spec for that price. I'd personally go with a heavier steel frame but decent drivetrain of the riverside than a lighter aluminium frame and lower end freewheel drivetrain. Yes you might be able to shave off a kilo or 2 to overall weight but any time you have saved cycling will be more than lost dealing with the low end drivetrain. This looks like a very well chosen spec. I have a microshift cassette drivetrain setup on one of my bikes and while not as good as a Shimano or Sram version its a whole lot better than any brand freewheel setup of recent years.

Soz, a bit late to the party on this one as haven't been on CC much...

Hope it's not the case, but I have a nagging suspicion the Decathlon bike might be too big. I'm 4ft 11 and find that their "small" bikes are too big for me. I need either XS or XXS.

There're 24 / 26 inch wheel hybrids to be had used and fettled, but if the bike absolutely has to be new, might I suggest the Wiggins Chartres from Halfords? There's a 24 and 26 inch wheel option - I'm thinking about one as an N+1. I already ride a Wiggins Rouen roadie btw.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Soz, a bit late to the party on this one as haven't been on CC much...

Hope it's not the case, but I have a nagging suspicion the Decathlon bike might be too big. I'm 4ft 11 and find that their "small" bikes are too big for me. I need either XS or XXS.

There're 24 / 26 inch wheel hybrids to be had used and fettled, but if the bike absolutely has to be new, might I suggest the from Halfords? There's a 24 and 26 inch wheel option - I'm thinking about one as an N+1. I already ride a Wiggins Rouen roadie btw.
Hello @Reynard , thank you for taking the time to reply. You are a little late I'm afraid as the bike arrived today. She's got about an inch of seat post showing and if she wants to fit it properly then she could actually put it up a little more. There's just enough post to put the light on so it clears the back wheel! She's had a whizz round outside my shop and is delighted with it from the 10 minutes she's spent on it. So I think it should be just fine. Thank you for the suggestion of the Wiggins, to be honest that would have been above budget though.

You're welcome, @Mugshot

Glad the bike your daughter got is ok. :thumbsup: It's just that being, ahem, undertall, has got its problems when choosing bikes. I've been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. :laugh: Nothing worse than riding a bike that's too big and then smacking yourself in a place you'd rather not with the top bar every time you come to a stop... :cry:

The Wiggins bikes are really nice. Have been riding mine for a year now. Might be worth considering should an upgrade ever be necessary. :smile:

When a female says "i want that thing" then just buy that thing . Do not deviate from the thing thinking you are doing better .
How can you not know this !
Yeah, because we all know how good men are at being told they are wrong.

Top Bottom