My daughter won't zip her jacket on camp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jennifer92

Regular
I had one of my daughter's girl rainbow group leaders tell me today that my daughter was told off at her last camping weekend away because she didn't zip her jacket up when she was asked so I'm wondering, what can I do because the leaders want me to try and get my child to understand why they ask the girls to zip up when on camping weekends?

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
They sound a bit intense. It's not really that much of a big deal... I don't know how old your daughter is, but it's great to be doing that instead of watching tv, or looking at a tablet like so many do. It's hardly the crime of the century...

classic33

Leg End Member
Unless the weather was inclement, then to be honest I'm struggling to see what the problem is.

I've done Cub, Scout and Venture Scout camps, and apart from uniform issues or safety, I've not bothered about someone not fastening their coat up.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer92

Regular
Unless the weather was inclement, then to be honest I'm struggling to see what the problem is.

I've done Cub, Scout and Venture Scout camps, and apart from uniform issues or safety, I've not bothered about someone not fastening their coat up.

The leader that spoke to me didn't say what like the weather was but did say that "at night it gets cold so your daughter needs to understand that we will ask the girls to zip their jackets".

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
She is 6.

Its more the not zipping the jacket that yhey are worried about

She's only 6. I would ignore them. They sound overly harsh to me, if that's the worst thing your daughter has done. They must be really well behaved kids, if that's the kind of issues they raise. Kids should have fun. That person sounds like the drill Sergeant off Full Metal Jacket...

classic33

Leg End Member
Sufficient layers, underneath, can keep her warm.

Maybe find out why they insist on coats being fastened up.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer92

Regular
She's only 6. I would ignore them. They sound overly harsh to me, if that's the worst thing your daughter has done. They must be really well behaved kids, if that's the kind of issues they raise. Kids should have fun. That person sounds like the drill Sergeant off Full Metal Jacket...

I
Sufficient layers, underneath, can keep her warm.

Maybe find out why they insist on coats being fastened up.
I think I will try and find out because I don't see what issue they have. I'm hoping they ask all kids, not just my daughter!!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You’ve joined a cult without realising it. Run away now.

My youngest wouldn’t wear socks or shoes. I went with that. Let her have her coat open. She is doing it for reasons known only to her and I bet she is wiser than her adult rainbow leaders anyhow.

Society has a way of removing children’s personality and idiosyncrasies which I think is a horrible shame. Empower them rather than indoctrinate them.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
I've only ever had the need to deal with uniform issues most other stuff like this I just let go. If they are dressed right and the camp is planned right. she should be warm enough. Camp is great fun and makes memories for years to come at 6 that is all you need to work on. I'd be more concerned about making sure they have a great time and are well up for another

Find out what the really issue is if you're not convinced then forget about it.

Top Bottom