My Daughters JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok so my daughter is a ex youth and junior racer ( did 2 UCI races whilst a junior,one in Belgium one in Italy, DNF in both but still a good effort on junior gears against "professionals") and had to give it up due to knee problems which un beknown to all of us till a year later was caused by hyper fexibility. Once that was diagnosed physio ensued and no more kneee problems hopefuly. She has trained a bit over the last 6 months but essentialy had a years lay off before that.
So a load of people at her university decide to do the jogle for charity and had a sponsor to provide food/accomodation. They pulled out a month ago and only 4 people decided to carry on with it under thier own steam managing to book youth hostels and will also staying in friends houses along the way.
So they started yesterday, My daughter only really knew 2 of them ( 2 girls) and not the boy. she was amazed the boy turned up with flat pedals and trainers, then on the first downward hill his front brake blocks popped out. He had put the holders on upside down and the wrong way around. Also it turned out he and one of the girls was scared of going downhill fast. My daughter and the other girl ( another ex racer post graduate 26 yrs old) merrily went down a hill topping out at 45mph whilst the other 2 followed at around 20mph.
Then my daughter had to chastise them for not eating, turns out 2 of them could not eat and ride at th same time, and also the slower girl seemed to be treating it as a wieght loss program only eating a panini at lunch.
They are all young and fit however ad managed the first days 100 miles in less than 7 hours riding time.
She has decided she will have to kick ass tommorrow to make them all eat more regularly ie every 30-45 minutes. She is now wondering if 2 of them will ever finish it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If I was riding in this ride I would tell your daughter to mind her own business or better still to clear off and ride by herself, if she started laying down the law to me. The 2 riders you mention are not semi pro types like your daughter and the other girl. They are there for the experience and if your daughter starts badgering them they will really start to hate the ride, and your daughter.

It seems like these 4 riders are woefully mismatched for this ride and they need to have a serious talk about it. The fact that this was never raised before a pedal was turned is a clear case of PPP.

snorri

Legendary Member
I can't decide if the OP is trolling or can he not see the damage his daughter is doing in discouraging people from becoming involved in cycling? She sounds like a right tyrant and not someone I would have wanted to accompany me on my LEJOG.

I can't decide if the OP is trolling or can he not see the damage his daughter is doing in discouraging people from becoming involved in cycling? She sounds like a right tyrant and not someone I would have wanted to accompany me on my LEJOG.

Yeah, I don't see the problem really. They did 100 miles in 7 hours, which is a pretty good start. I rarely eat while cycling, I usually only feel like a panini or similar when I stop, and more than that will weigh heavily the next few miles. Are they planning to do 100 miles every day? That's much faster than most people do it, isn't it?

puffinbilly

Veteran
I think you need to have a serious word with your daughter and tell her to assert her authority on this - she is clearly the queen bee and knows what is best for them - and the sooner they understand that the better.
I mean - how dare they not eat or eat and it just be a pannini - they sounds like they're a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Last edited:
The general rule for anyone organising a trip is that you move at the pace of the slowest

That is it

Forcing someone to ride at a faster pace, eat drink and stop on the fastest persons agenda is a recipe for disaster

OP
OP
HarryTheDog
Well some unexpected comments so far but you have to remember the original organiser of this trip is now not doing it and these 4 are picking up the pieces. My daughters concern with food is well founded and she does not want the group to fail. ( not that she likes to boss people about, she is the youngest and smallest in the group)
Daughter has just rung in and they have reached Roybridge near Fort William at around 19:00 . They have done 106 miles in 7 hrs riding 1,483 metres of climb so good going.
No incidents except one of the girls knee started to hurt towards the end. They are all apparently as stubborn as mules so no one is giving up.
They had a small discussion last night and the 2 newbies realised they were famished and today regular stops for food were made. Everyone stuck together and are in good spirits so far. My daughter is feeling good and starting to fall in love with cycling again, may buy a racing license and have a pop at some end of season races but we will see how she feels at the end.
Longest leg tommorrow apparently.
No pictures yet, grrr

Cool. They are doing really well.

Honestly, I'd advise them to have an easy day, or even a day off soon.

Food can be hard. My appetite disappears on long rides, but frequent stops are the best way. In preference I'd ride for 2 or 3 hours, coffee and cake break, ride again, lunch, ride again, more cake, ride again, dinner and bed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The daughter does come over dreadfully in the OP, but in my limited experience of long group rides someone does need to keep an eye on progress and crack the whip occasionally.

Riders like me need to be prevented from having that second cup of coffee, or from simply sitting about chatting when there's plenty of miles to be done.

OP
OP
HarryTheDog
Late entry as I was working late. The group has done 116 miles today and reached Glasgow, they have fallen into a nice pattern of ride stop etc and spent around 8 hrs in the saddle.
Here is the only picture they took on the first day. Not a very good one. daughters on the right.
@jefmcg They intend not to have a day off, the lad has booked his train back from Penzance on Sunday, they may regret that decision later but we will see.
joggle start.jpg

Top Bottom