My Dun Run 2021 challenge....Hingham-London-Dunwich-Hingham....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears
I'm putting this out here to aid my commitment to this stupid idea and keep me honest...

One drunken evening with my racing-whippet thin, super-fit riding buddy we started to discuss the Dun Run.
Now despite many FNRttC I have never done a Dun Run simply due to logistics for getting to and from the event. So my mate who lives in South Norfolk, suggests (whilst I was under the influence of copious fine ale) that we could stay with them on the Friday, cycle down to London during Saturday, do the Dun Run Saturday night, brekkie on the beach and then cycle back to South Norfolk and the pub. That would be a great plan says I before passing-out....
And this morning I have committed to it!
On Paper (well gpx) it's 285* miles!
5 years ago I did 220 miles by incorporating a FNRttC to Bognor with a solo coastal ride back to Deal taking 27hrs using some abysmal Sustrans routings.
Paul says, 'hey, be great if we can do it in 24hrs'! I have told him I'd be happy simply to finish right now.

So far I have only done a few 1o and 15 milers...I need to get out there and give it some before 24th of July...:eek:

*It would seem churlish not to make this a round 300....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hingham is a lovely tiny town. The green outside the shop would be a very picturesque place to collapse and end your days. Days of cycling, of course. Not all days. Hopefully.

I don't know how your route planning goes, but I'd suggest trying to do Hingham-London via Saffron Walden which is beautiful in itself but mostly so you can take the roads from Gravesend down the Rivers Ash and Lea valleys which is 35 miles mostly "gravity flat" (opposite of a false flat) with only a short climb at Widford, to give your legs some rest before the uphill first 15 or so miles of the Dunwich Dynamo route (winds permitting).

Good luck!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I could be tempted to join you for the outbound Dun run bit. Depending on the state of regulations at the time. Provided that you'd be amenable of course.

And provided you're not trying to do it in 24hrs :smile: That's about 20kmh / 12.5 mph overall, including stops.
Kewl, I can't see why not! No, will be at Foodie finishing pace :-)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Hingham is a lovely tiny town. The green outside the shop would be a very picturesque place to collapse and end your days. Days of cycling, of course. Not all days. Hopefully.

I don't know how your route planning goes, but I'd suggest trying to do Hingham-London via Saffron Walden which is beautiful in itself but mostly so you can take the roads from Gravesend down the Rivers Ash and Lea valleys which is 35 miles mostly "gravity flat" (opposite of a false flat) with only a short climb at Widford, to give your legs some rest before the uphill first 15 or so miles of the Dunwich Dynamo route (winds permitting).

Good luck!
Thanks - the Pub by the green is the team 'home' ;-)
Paul (Mr Hopless 500) is in charge of navigation...I will pass this on :-)

mjr

TBH, if it's not part of a big social event, a trip in-and-out of London is the last thing I would include in a long cycle ride. Day OR night.
/damp_towel
The Nazeing hairpins, the Olympic Canoe course, the old RSAF works, a couple of football stadia, Epping Forest... each to their own, but I think there's plenty of fascinating stuff worth a ride, plus it's sort of necessary if you want to do the iconic route.

The Nazeing hairpins,
The what??

Is the Dun-run route "iconic"? I don't know, I've only read the stories - but it seems like an iconic event (ideally suited to Londoners, who I believe created the thing).

(I'd say much the same about PBP - which I've ridden twice - it's amazing, but it wouldn't be my choice of route for a 1200km ride through France ... )

Glow worm

Legendary Member

There's also that bit in the Lea Valley where you're sailing along on the flat next to the river thinking, this is great- all the way to the Thames, and then suddenly it veers off and inexplicably sends you up a steep 200' hill near Lower Nazeing. Every time I ride to London I forget about that one, thinking once I get to Ware I'm home and dry!

Tribansman

Veteran
I could be tempted to join you for the outbound Dun run bit. Depending on the state of regulations at the time. Provided that you'd be amenable of course.

And provided you're not trying to do it in 24hrs :smile: That's about 20kmh / 12.5 mph overall, including stops.
Me too. Your plan @Fab Foodie of building in a round trip to and from home is a good one. For me starting in Letchworth, I'd have a shorter outward leg and longer return home, but I've cycled back from Southwold before and it's a pretty easy route so as long as the wind is anything but a strong W/SW should be good. I wanted to start planning in some longer rides for when we can finally go beyond what are becoming pretty tedious local loops.

Does anyone reckon there will be anywhere to get fish and chips for breakfast?!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Me too. Your plan @Fab Foodie of building in a round trip to and from home is a good one. For me starting in Letchworth, I'd have a shorter outward leg and longer return home, but I've cycled back from Southwold before and it's a pretty easy route so as long as the wind is anything but a strong W/SW should be good. I wanted to start planning in some longer rides for when we can finally go beyond what are becoming pretty tedious local loops.

Does anyone reckon there will be anywhere to get fish and chips for breakfast?!
Just for the record it's not my plan or my home...I just got talked-into it! :ohmy:

mjr

The what??
The ones up and down what I think is the hill @Glow worm forgets. It's bloody hilarious with a group, looking up or down and seeing three lines of riders snaking. It's no Box Hill, but it seems almost no-one knows that there are hairpins on the Essex side of London as well as the Surrey one.

It is also pretty much completely avoidable by either using the B road or the towpath, but I'm not too upset about such a folly being included because it amuses me.

Is the Dun-run route "iconic"? I don't know, I've only read the stories - but it seems like an iconic event (ideally suited to Londoners, who I believe created the thing).

(I'd say much the same about PBP - which I've ridden twice - it's amazing, but it wouldn't be my choice of route for a 1200km ride through France ... )
I've ridden neither (and probably never will PBP because I dislike Audax), but unlike PBP, the route of DD looks pretty decent to me just as a ride, preferably at that time of day so that the big roads used out of London aren't too busy. A fast blast across Essex followed by a succession of pretty Suffolk towns and villages finishing at the coast — what's not to like?

Top Bottom