My Dun Run 2021 challenge....Hingham-London-Dunwich-Hingham....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I could have sworn I had a picture but I can't find it. There aren't any online that really capture it. This is one of few I found:

Zig-zag path near Lower Nazeing, Essex
3494459_f0361604.jpg

© Malc McDonald, cc-by-sa.

ETA: ah, looking on satellite pics, the path crosses through a tree line between turns 2 and 3 that I don't remember. That will mess up photos!

Attachments

• 3494459_f0361604_120x120.jpg
    3494459_f0361604_120x120.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I could have sworn I had a picture but I can't find it. There aren't any online that really capture it. This is one of few I found:

Zig-zag path near Lower Nazeing, Essex
View attachment 575806
© Malc McDonald, cc-by-sa.

ETA: ah, looking on satellite pics, the path crosses through a tree line between turns 2 and 3 that I don't remember. That will mess up photos!

That's the one- it's a lot steeper than it looks. Luckily there are plenty of benches for the exhausted Fenlander to pass out on and the descent is fun!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Glow worm

Legendary Member
down the Rivers Ash and Lea valleys which is 35 miles mostly "gravity flat" (opposite of a false flat) with only a short climb at Widford, to give your legs some rest

I was thinking about the last time I rode to London - I managed to avoid the Widford Hill by riding along a bridleway instead that followed the river more closely (and maybe a v short 50yd section of footpath:whistle:). It was a bit lumpy but fun- I had all day too, so was in no rush.

Immediately after this bit is a disused railway line that is now a perfectly cycleable, wide path which took me right to the River Lea so I managed to avoid about 4 miles of the B1004. I'd do anything to avoid roads where I can, as you can see from this pic at Widford at the start of the bridleway! I think the road route is up by the houses. If you are in a rush, or on skinny tyres- stick to the road.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
  • Laugh
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm struggling to tell it apart from les lacets de montvenier....
I know it's Friday afternoon, but it's a bit early to be that pickled!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Dears
I'm putting this out here to aid my commitment to this stupid idea and keep me honest...

One drunken evening with my racing-whippet thin, super-fit riding buddy we started to discuss the Dun Run.
Now despite many FNRttC I have never done a Dun Run simply due to logistics for getting to and from the event. So my mate who lives in South Norfolk, suggests (whilst I was under the influence of copious fine ale) that we could stay with them on the Friday, cycle down to London during Saturday, do the Dun Run Saturday night, brekkie on the beach and then cycle back to South Norfolk and the pub. That would be a great plan says I before passing-out....
And this morning I have committed to it!
On Paper (well gpx) it's 285* miles!
5 years ago I did 220 miles by incorporating a FNRttC to Bognor with a solo coastal ride back to Deal taking 27hrs using some abysmal Sustrans routings.
Paul says, 'hey, be great if we can do it in 24hrs'! I have told him I'd be happy simply to finish right now.

So far I have only done a few 1o and 15 milers...I need to get out there and give it some before 24th of July...:eek:

*It would seem churlish not to make this a round 300....
Just found this thread Fabbers, and was looking forward to an epic tale of endurance amidst pretty East Anglan villages. What happened next, did you sober up?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just found this thread Fabbers, and was looking forward to an epic tale of endurance amidst pretty East Anglan villages. What happened next, did you sober up?
Never sober-up...it hurts too much!

Sadly Paul the organiser was @hopless500 husband and she died from her brain tumour in the days before. There was always a chance that might happen.
We’ll do it next year in her memory.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I

Sadly Paul the organiser was @hopless500 husband and she died from her brain tumour in the days before. There was always a chance that might happen.
That's terrible, not at all what I expected of your 'epic tale'. :sad:

I'm all for tributes to absent friends; doing it next year sounds a lovely idea.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Sounds like a most fitting tribute to a lovely lady. Might I suggest (for training, and perhaps for at least part of the day/night/day) you might like the company of some People Who Like Riding Through The Night A Very Long Way Indeed? You know a few, and we don't want you getting lost on Sustrans paths again. Also a good incentive for getting miles in ourselves…

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sounds like a most fitting tribute to a lovely lady. Might I suggest (for training, and perhaps for at least part of the day/night/day) you might like the company of some People Who Like Riding Through The Night A Very Long Way Indeed? You know a few, and we don't want you getting lost on Sustrans paths again. Also a good incentive for getting miles in ourselves…
Thanks Stuart.
I’d love to be back on a FNRttC, but work and social schedules have both conspired to hammer my cycling this year. I’ll be back asap...you need the rain :-)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thanks Stuart.
I’d love to be back on a FNRttC, but work and social schedules have both conspired to hammer my cycling this year. I’ll be back asap...you need the rain :-)
Splendid. Apart from the rain, obviously.....And if you make a date for training rides, you'll get company…

Top Bottom