My Eddy Merckx Team Seven 12 restoration/homage. Picture heavy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simple Simon

Veteran
Not too long ago I had some time off work and decided on a whim to do an Andy Hampsten, Eddy Merckx Team 7 Eleven homage.
Trawling through eBay I discovered a Merckx frame that was a going cheap. The frame was in great condition while the paint had taken a battering and was built up as a muddled together fixie.
After a bit of research I ascertained that the bike was a 1985 Strada that had had a factory repaint circa 1995.
The bike was stripped and sent to Neill Shankland of Atlantic Boulevard to work some magic and transform the bike into the colour scheme I have always loved.
From this

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simple Simon

Simple Simon

Veteran
To This

OP
OP
Simple Simon

Simple Simon

Veteran
The plan is to end up with a 7 speed Dura Ace groupset which is kind of period correct. I will ride this here in the Peak District so wanted some better functionality and style over an exact replica.

Current parts are:

Mavic reflex wheels set on later Dura Ace 7700 hubs. (Not Wilber but I may badge them as sutech for the esthetic).
Dura Ace 7402 aero levers and the dual pivot 7403 brakes. I have a set of 7400 non aero brakes and levers should I decide to ride this in Eroica.
Dura Ace 7401 7 speed down tube shifters.
Dura Ace 7401 crank running 53/39
Dura Ace 7400 aero seat post
Dura Ace 7410front derailleur
Dura Ace 7401 seven speed rear derailleur
Hyperglide 12/28 seven speed cassette
Cinelli Volare saddle, new in white
Token JIS bottom bracket

Still trying to find a nice Cinelli or Dura Ace stem to fit the Cinelli Giro D’Italia bars.

the bike and parts are with Brian at Classic and Vintage bikes in Glossop and should be completed next month.

l’ll post up a few details as we go along and hope you enjoy the final result as much as I know I will.

cheers,
Simon

OP
OP
Simple Simon

Simple Simon

Veteran
I hope this thread will help someone at some point with their restoration.
loads of great info to be found out there!

OP
OP
Simple Simon

Simple Simon

Veteran
That’s right, 7400 was 6 speed, 7401 7 speed and 7402 was 8.
Many of the components stayed the same but with 7402 you got the grey aero SLS brake levers and by 7403 you had dual pivot brakes.
Mines will definitely be a mishmash but the great thing about Shimano is that it all works together flawlessly.
Glad you like it 👍

Top Bottom