My Employers are a bunch of slavedrivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have a look here for what they should be doing.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg293.pdf

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Go and have a word with the road diggers, they don't have water coolers, coffee machines and bathrooms but they manage to survive;);)

Dave5N

Über Member
Funny, I had this conversation tonight at the club with a chap who works mending roads. He had been labouring outdoors since 6:30am, but I pointed out that we office workers have it tough too. For example, our kitchen was being refitted today at work. We had to walk all the way down (one flight of) stairs just to make a cup of coffee!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Dave5N said:
Funny, I had this conversation tonight at the club with a chap who works mending roads. He had been labouring outdoors since 6:30am, but I pointed out that we office workers have it tough too. For example, our kitchen was being refitted today at work. We had to walk all the way down (one flight of) stairs just to make a cup of coffee!

luxury. i have to go down a flight of stairs, across a rainy courtyard and then have to decide upon the free kenco coffee from the machine or a starbucks that costs 85p.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My old employers were like this and their core business was Utilities - i.e. water.

Only once did the staff get sent home - the office dropped to 12c as the heating had failed (oil powered) and the electric kept tripping due to power overload (no elec heaters). It was only when the Audit Manager from our firm of Auditors said "I'll have to send my staff home, it's too cold" - I then told HR that they can't expect our staff to stay, when the temp is well below the legal minimum.... anyway they let them home - I stayed with my coat done up to the top (problem being a boss and work to do - yep for the auditors that had gone home)....

Many employers are like this.....

Dave5N

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
luxury. i have to go down a flight of stairs, across a rainy courtyard and then have to decide upon the free kenco coffee from the machine or a starbucks that costs 85p.

Yeah well, when I said stairs, I meant climb down the drainpipe. And back up balancing a steaming mug on our heads.

Dave5N

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
and when i said courtyard i meant past the swimming pool. we had to chuck a business meeting out of the room with the wii in so we could play bowling too. just one of those days i suppose ;)

Yeah, well obviously you gotta prioritise, do what's best for the business an' that.

col

Legendary Member
You lucky lot,we dont get tea breaks,only a dinner time,and sometimes thats only half an hour in ten.;)

Office temperatures: pah! Went into a factory on a "blitz" of unregistered dumps, to see that the snow that morning had blown though the roof gaps, settled on the machinery (lathes etc), and due to the fact there was no (nil) heating, was showing no signs of melting. Part way through an interview with the owner we were interrupted by an explosion: bodged electrics to a van battery sparked, hydrogen gas exploded, as it does, acid and the remains of the battery case scattered. Luckily I had our medic with us (by chance) who treated the guy with acid in his face. Office workers have it soft.... All true BTW. Got my prosecution count up quite well:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Nortones2 said:
Office temperatures: pah! Went into a factory on a "blitz" of unregistered dumps, to see that the snow that morning had blown though the roof gaps, settled on the machinery (lathes etc), and due to the fact there was no (nil) heating, was showing no signs of melting. Part way through an interview with the owner we were interrupted by an explosion: bodged electrics to a van battery sparked, hydrogen gas exploded, as it does, acid and the remains of the battery case scattered. Luckily I had our medic with us (by chance) who treated the guy with acid in his face. Office workers have it soft.... All true BTW. Got my prosecution count up quite well:smile:

at our place you don't have to fill out a form to have a poo…

col

Legendary Member
col said:
You lucky lot,we dont get tea breaks,only a dinner time,and sometimes thats only half an hour in ten.;)

Oh forgot to add,sometimes the heaters dont work properly,and its freezing at five am,just hoping for the sun to pop out,to get a bit of warmth.

Noodley

I had to complain today as I thought the afternoon coffee was a tad too strong for my liking. The shortbread and chocolates were nice tho.

I remember talking to a bloke who was a heating engineer in the 1970s during the era of the strong trade union. He turned up to a factory one day to fix the heating, only to encounter the entire workforce coming out of the gates. Upon finding a member of management, he was told: "it's too cold in there, so they've walked out. The quicker you can get the heating back on, the better." On hearing this, he promptly turned around and walked off. When the manager asked what he was doing, he replied:
"well, if it's too cold for them, it's too cold for me!"
He said it was worth it just for the look on the guy's face, although I think he did go and fix the heating eventually.

Top Bottom