My favourite Cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karen.488walker

Everything already mentioned + the local fromageries own fondue mix with a bottle of fendant. Fondue is fab, especially when you haven't had it for ages. + no one's mentioned a nice bit of gruyere floating on a crouton in french onion soup, or the humble cheese toastie with HP, + goats cheese. Can't chooses a fav. but if I could only ever eat 1 cheese for the rest of my life it would be chedder.

just jim

I'm pretty sure I have some kind of cheese intolerance - I break out in a clammy sweat when I break out the cheddar. I love cheese too. I've never been checked out - should I be concerned?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
As per previous post:
Ossau Iraty is good.
Love a good mature cheddar, but not too keen on the Calcium Lactate Crystals
Lanark Blue is unbeatable.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Dass schmeckt mir voll gut ....

064_limburger_2.jpg

... aber riecht's mir ganz schlecht!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Archie_tect said:
No decent local cheese FM?

I'm only just finding out... there is a horrible North American tendency to multinational mass-produced non-descript orange or white gunk. However I have discovered some good things from Quebec and there seem to be some smaller Ontario craft producers too. The island I live on used to be a major producer of cheese, but then Kraft bought all the remaining producers, combined it into one factory, then closed it down, thereby killing local cheese production. There has been talk about starting some cheese production up again but most of the farmers can't seen beyond industrial models and are understandably wary after the Kraft experience...

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Ooooh, I totally forgot about the 'Little garlic' sold by the goat's cheese guy at the farmers' market near work. Stuffed into a chicken breast and baked.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm droooooooool

Just love cheese washed down with a nice port. Love Stilton, danish blue.

I your a cheese lover and your ever in the Yorkshire Dales visit the wensleydale creamery in Hawes:

http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/

Lots to try and buy, and of course some fantastic cycling.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
IIRC:
The Wensleydale creamery was about to close due to lack of business. Sadly despite the freedom offered by cheesemakers from the straight-jacket of the old Milk Marketing Board following its demise, people's impression of Wensleydale resolutely remained in the generic, tasteless rubbish that was being sold in the '70's. Rumour had it that a creamery, having made a white, soft, mild crumbly cheese, this was then named Cheshire, Wensleydale or Caerphilly depending on the orders awaiting delivery.

Somewhere in Bristol, Nick Park was slowly creating the Wallace and Gromit characters for his Film School submission. This was based on the childhood fantasy of a back-yard shed project to build a rocket to go to the moon, linked to a childhood myth of the moon being made of cheese. Nick Park was the sort of person who had almost masochistic edge to film making, using a claymation process where other methods film-making (e.g CGI) would take a matter of years, rather than months or even weeks for even a short film. Challenges were there for making, not avoiding, and nothing seemed better than trying to animate the mouth to say "Wensleydale" rather than "Cheddar" or "Brie".

Several films later, "Wensleydale" became a well-recognised part of the Wallace and Gromit vocabulary, and part of the collective conciousness of the UK. Wensleydale cheese became popular again, and the almost condemned creamery became a thriving plant and visitor attraction.

Top Bottom