My first 100 mile 24/04/2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TijnUK

Any late tips are very welcome!

I am doing my first century next week. It will be a flat course in Holland but always very windy often against you the whole way. It's probably going to be a ride against body and mind as I was only just invited. So far I have done 275 miles since 06/03/10, 7 rides in total. 55, 50,45,30 and then some smaller ones. Yesterday I did the 55 miles and today a 30 miles although pretty tough for my legs as full with lactic acid. I also went to 8 spinning classes of which 3 times a 75 minute class. Not worried about the cardio vescular stuff more about food and endurance. Especially since I am also a type 1 Diabetic.

Any thoughts??? :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
TijnUK said:
Any late tips are very welcome!

I am doing my first century next week. It will be a flat course in Holland but always very windy often against you the whole way. It's probably going to be a ride against body and mind as I was only just invited. So far I have done 275 miles since 06/03/10, 7 rides in total. 55, 50,45,30 and then some smaller ones. Yesterday I did the 55 miles and today a 30 miles although pretty tough for my legs as full with lactic acid. I also went to 8 spinning classes of which 3 times a 75 minute class. Not worried about the cardio vescular stuff more about food and endurance. Especially since I am also a type 1 Diabetic.

Any thoughts??? :smile:

eat and drink steadily throughout from the start :
hungry or thirsty = too late
not needing to pee = not drinking enough

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Good Luck ,up your salt intake on the day as well to avoid leg cramps.I suffered some really bad ones recently and its no joke.Next long ride I do I will carry some salted nuts especially if its warm.

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

Hi Banjo,

Yeah I know about cramps. I've had them in both my upper legs at the same time and they were in such a spasm that they were not more than 2 inch thick. Extremely painful. I don't seem to have them much anymore but I haven't done this distance yet so will keep the salt intake in mind. Are you able to get those nuts down while riding? Seems a very dry business to me. :biggrin:

PK99

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
No it's not, depends on how much effort the rider is expending.

have a look at;
http://bicycling.suite101.com/article.cfm/more_on_hydration_for_cycling

Ways to tell if you are drinking enough include:

• Feeling thirsty. Yes, this is obvious, but you need to remember that you can be in early stages of dehydration before you have any sensation of thirst. A raging thirst after a ride is a sure sign of under-hydration. If the ride is only an hour or so then this is unlikely to be dangerous, but it’s still better to forestall it. Waking up with a ‘hangover’ the next morning is also a sign that you haven't taken on enough liquid during the ride.
  • The ‘pee test’. If you feel the need to urinate at about the same interval when riding as you do when not exercising, you’re probably adequately hydrated. If the intervals get longer and longer, or the volume is reduced, you should up your fluid intake. And if what’s coming out is significantly darker in colour than normal, this is a real warning sign.
  • Headache, dizziness, 'hungover' feeling. All are likely symptoms of dehydration.

toroddf

I deal with the keeping-hydrated thing by setting myself targets when to drink. Hence, use the cycle computer and I gulp down a couple of mouthfuls at 3, 6, 9, 12 miles and so forth. That even if you do not feel thirsty. But I find this method to be the only method working for me and I have had some great success with it.

Remember; a 100 miler is like a game of chess. Always protect your king and queen when cycling.

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

Hi PK99

Thanks for the advise. It is however even more complicated because I am a diabetic. For instance if my sugar levels are to high my urine will almost be clear but I will have an enormous thirst like walking through the desert without water. Which also gives the same symtoms, Headache, dizziness, 'hungover' feeling.

The other side of the story when you have high sugar levels is that if you will eat or drink , what ever it is, it will not be reaching the cells but you will just wee it out. Obviously I am looking for the right balance.
Mostly I am lucky and while riding my bike I don't have to take any insuline. But considering the share amount of food I will need to be taking I will just have to monitor it more closely. There goes my average though. But considering it's my first century I guess time is not that important.

I will check your link out too, thanks a lot.

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

I am not sure if I can keep to a regime of sipping water every 3 miles but definately hope to make sure it will be lots, Cheers Toroddf

toroddf

I use bananas and eat every 15 miles. Dark chocolate too is excellent. I also like bacon & egg rolls when taking a break. Sausage rolls is good too. Anything but heavy food.
Bananas is excellent and recommended. What's good for a chimp is good for me.

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

Lets say I am able to ride it in 7 and a half hours and will eat a banana every half hour. I will need deep pockets or a trailer. Unfortunately I have never heard of the Dutch selling sausage rolls or eggs rolls. But at least there should be a bakery on every corner in towns. The dark chocolate sounds interesting. Anyone know if protein bars would help during the ride or is that for recovery only?
I am sure I will let you know how it went. Making it or not, I will post the result.

sleekitcollie

Best of luck , I did my 1st century last week and all went well . I'm not the best at drinking or eating regular intervals but I suppose it's just a matter of practice in knowing how much food n drink to carry .
108 miles 7hrs 45 min actual cycling but 10 hrs including food / coffee / photo / pee stops etc .

OP
OP
T

TijnUK

He Guys,

I just remembered that a while ago my little daughter was poory and was given Dioralyte sachets. These are to be mixed with water and are supposed to replace body fluids and solts lost during illness and is recommended for treatment, It contains sodium chloride, potassium, disodium hydrogen citrate. This should keep my salt levels up or not?

Top Bottom