My first 70 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Hi everyone,
I'll try not to bore you with this, but I'm feeling all smug (and completely knackered) about completing my first 70 mile trip.

I set off from just outside of Grange over sands feeling a bit jaded as I'd done 45 miles yesterday, but soon got in my stride. When I got onto the A590 Lancaster CC were doing a time trial. I was so tempted to go for it, but I managed to keep the ego in check:biggrin:
I had my first numpty/close call a driver of a tipper truck beeping his horn. I think he was a bit upset because a pair of tractors had slowed the traffic down and he thought it was the cyclists. Anyway once off the dual carriage way there was no traffic and I got to Kendal in good time. As the shops hadn't opened the trip through Kendal was event free and so onto the A6 for the trip up to Shap. The wind seemed to be coming from the north, which meant I was heading up hill, into a headwind. Needless to say I wasn't going fast. About half way to Shap I had a very near miss. A large lorry (not an artic) passed with inches to spare. It was on a left hand bend with double white lines. I should have been in primary, but as it was a 60 limit I'm not too sure that would have been a good idea either. I memorised the first part of the reg and went through the letter (in my head) I was going to write to the MD of the company (depot based in Kendal). In the end it was starting to spoil my ride so I just let it go.
Then the rise to the summit arrived, actually it's not too bad and I was over it before I knew it. Coming down the other side I met a guy doing lejog. He was on a mountain bike fully loaded with camping gear. Nice chap we had a chat and I left him to it. Once at Shap I thought I'd stop for a coffee but the coffee shop was closed (it's always closed when I go). So I just set off to Orton.
The road to Orton is fantastic rolling hills beautiful views and hardly any traffic - magic.

Once at Orton I turned back towards Kendal. The road to Kendal from Tebay is a little busier, but not busy. There are a couple of meaty climbs there too. Had a coach pass me just before a big downhill, I kept up with the bus along the (gentle) ups and (big) downs seeing 40+MPH on the speedo. I left loads of room behind the coach, I don't want to breathe in diesel fumes, but the car behind me left me loads of room as he'd realised he wasn't going past the bus anyway. We were like this for a mile or two me pedalling for all I was worth. When we hit the next big hill I gave him a friendly wave as he passed (giving me loads of room - he probably thought I was a nutter:biggrin:)
Just before I got to Kendal I cut across country, better than going through the town but my legs were getting tired and the hills were getting to me. I was starting to get low on water too. Once into Natland it was pretty plain sailing and apart from the hill from Heaves to Levens was almost all on the flat.
Upon arriving on Grange I had another close pass. One of the old dears obviously thought as long as she didn't run me down she didn't have to move over either.
Home by 1:30 so the day was still young.

So 70 miles, 5 hours, only 3 near misses and some of the most beautiful scenery in England. A good ride out:biggrin::biggrin:

the map/route is here.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...54.358157,-2.60788&spn=0.392118,1.234589&z=10

Hope I've not bored you too much. Isn't riding a bike great:thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done Jazzkat. Next milestone... a 100 miler

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:ohmy: Well Done, jazzkat :angry:

:biggrin: 70 miles is very good - and doing it around that area - Chapeau, Sir :biggrin:. I know the Orton/Shap bit and there be hills there :biggrin:

I always find that doing some stretches after a long ride makes it much more comfortable the next day or two. Stretch out your quads, hamstrings and calves almost as soon as you finish your ride (while still warm) and you will reap the rewards later in the day/next day.

Onwards and upwards :rofl:

Fiona N

Veteran
Blimey did you really go up the Levens climb (on the cycle route from Sizergh) at the end of that ride. Chapeau as they say :angry: I think I'd have done the kilometre on the dual carriageway to the Levens turn-off to get onto the cycle route :biggrin: I cycle from Oxenholme to Grange fairly often and hate this climb more than any other for miles around

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Thanks guys and gals :biggrin::blush:

The legs are feeling pretty good today, I did do a couple of stretches before I went to bed. As the day's gone on the aches have got better. I'll be good to go tomorrow, which is nice because Wednesday is TT night:biggrin:

Fiona N said:
Blimey did you really go up the Levens climb (on the cycle route from Sizergh) at the end of that ride. Chapeau as they say :biggrin: I think I'd have done the kilometre on the dual carriageway to the Levens turn-off to get onto the cycle route :ohmy: I cycle from Oxenholme to Grange fairly often and hate this climb more than any other for miles around

I seriously thought about wimping out and going down the A590, I'm glad I didn't as I'd forgotten about Cartmel races and the road was all snarled up.
It is a good push up that hill though.. eh!