my first canal tow path ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrsbaggins

Borrowed my friends bike until mine comes and had a littlr trip to a local pub which is about 30 mins cycling away down the towpaths.

I was a bit dubious at first as I am still abit wobbly and kept having to say to myself 'dont look at the water. dont look at the water' as I know I would have been drawn to it! Path went a bit narrow at one point and I was a bit reluctan to go under a coupel of the low bridges but I really enjoyed it! I was amazed at the amount of flies I swallowed though! At one point I had to stop and spit one out as it went right down my throat!

postman

Legendary Member
Well done .I live in Leeds and ride along the L & L ,during the week .Less people about,Bingley Five Rise is a lovely trip .There is something special being next to water .Not sure about during the school holidays though .

Do it again and enjoy it .

slugonabike

Well done you! I'm a bit nervous about tow paths (not that we actually have any locally) for the same reason. My mantra is 'If I don't look where I'm going i'll end up going where I'm looking'! I have to studiously avoid looking at all sorts of potential hazards otherwise I know I'll veer towards them.

Hope this is just the first of many enjoyable rides for you.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Interesting. I usually take the road route when I am doing my long route home, going up Friday street and then battling the 4x4s through Knowle, but skirting Dorridge. What is the path like? Hard or muddy?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Sounds great ! Whatever you do don't go in the other direction and end up in Tyseley, well not if you don't want to walk home.
If you get as far as Lapworth you can jump from the Grand Union onto the Stratford-On-Avon canal and have a very pleasant ride into Stratford.

stevieboy378

If you decide to venture further afield the canal underneath spaghetti junction is well worth a visit, as is the Dog & Doublet pub in Bodymoor Heath, on the Fazeley canal

rh100

Interesting. I usually take the road route when I am doing my long route home, going up Friday street and then battling the 4x4s through Knowle, but skirting Dorridge. What is the path like? Hard or muddy?

I normally avoid canals, but the other night I got on the path by going through the Black Boy car park and went up as far as Knowle Locks, there was a hard path at the locks, but otherwise it was dried mud, was ok that night but I imagine it would get muddy in the wet, very pleasant though. Haven't used it around CdB itself, I normally go down Henwood Lane before you get to The Boat, crossing the canal before dipping down to the ford. I've also used the canal path going from Lode Lane to Damson Parkway, was a bit muddy in parts and has a stupid gate partway down it. Going through Tysley is a nightmare, the track is tiny in parts.

Which way around Knowle do you go BrumJim?

Davidc

Guru
I sometimes do the same but on the Bridgwater and Taunton.

Trouble this year has been that the bike has got covered in dust when I've used it.

Don't think it would be wise to have too much at the pub before riding home.....

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I normally avoid canals, but the other night I got on the path by going through the Black Boy car park and went up as far as Knowle Locks, there was a hard path at the locks, but otherwise it was dried mud, was ok that night but I imagine it would get muddy in the wet, very pleasant though. Haven't used it around CdB itself, I normally go down Henwood Lane before you get to The Boat, crossing the canal before dipping down to the ford. I've also used the canal path going from Lode Lane to Damson Parkway, was a bit muddy in parts and has a stupid gate partway down it. Going through Tysley is a nightmare, the track is tiny in parts.

Which way around Knowle do you go BrumJim?

Into Knowle from Eastcote (via Hampton Road), out South along the Warwick Road, then turn off at the bend, second right on the Norton Green Lane, then Vicarage Road to Hampton Heath.
This route.

Top Bottom