My First Clipless Moment :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Sooner or later it had to happen and after 3 months of riding with SPD-SL pedals, yesterday I experienced my “first clipless” moment on my new Bianchi. The roads were wet and slippery and I was cycling behind my son up a hill when his wheels slipped sideways into the rut and he fell off his bike. I wasn’t cycling that close behind, but by the time I’d skidded to a halt my front wheel was parallel to my son's back wheel. My sigh of relief was short lived though as my bike started to topple and I suddenly remembered that my feet were still locked to the pedals. Next moment I was led alongside my son on the verge, both of us still under our bikes and thankfully unhurt (with the exception of our pride) :-(

I'm not sure how stylish the fall was nor can I remember how many cars passed while we were upside down under the bikes, it was all a bit of a blur. All I can remember was thinking that I mustn't run over my son and I don't want to damage my new bike. But it was a bit of impromptu 'father to son' bonding that's for sure, even if it did get a bit tangled up with the bikes :-)

Portex

Regular
Well, I had so many clipless moments, I went back to toe clips and straps, sign of old age I suppose. Glad neither of you were hurt (other than the pride thing).

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I, too, had my first a couple of days ago, after a couple of years incident free! Going up a hill and changing down to the small ring at the front and the chain jammed. Cue toppling slowly sideways onto the tarmac in front of OH and a nice lady in a car. When I had picked myself up (with nothing worse than a smarting elbow), she pulled alongside and asked if I was OK, was I sure, etc.

As with most others, mostly dented pride!

Berties

Fast and careful!
Hope you are both ok,I must say I've had a few close shaves lately but it is second nature,but it just takes a lack of concentration and bang your over,bad times

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My advice is to make sure you have them as slack as possible to begin with and add a drop of oil to them.

My first clipless moment was in the kitchen whilst trying them out. My girlfriend couldn`t help recover me because she was crying with laughter.

I was staying in a B&B in Essex earlier in the year when a bloke came in with a sprained wrist, clipless moment; he was amazed when I told him you can adjust the tension :rolleyes:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The screws holding the cleat to the shoe came loose leading to my most spectacular clipless moment. Pulled up behind a que of traffic and over I went. Didnt realise what had happened so clipped back in again and carried on,this time fortunately I discovered the problem before having a second moment. Starting riding around looking for a soft grass bank but stopped holding a post eventually :-)

Top Bottom