My first commute!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

I bought a bike about 5 months ago after borrowing a friends and going cycling with him - I absolutely loved it!

Due to weather and laziness, I've never actually used my new bike and I always said I'd like to commute to work a couple of times a week with it. I posted on the "New Members" board a couple of days ago and got alot of sound advice and this morning, I finally plucked up the courage to commute to work by bike, overcoming my small fear of cycling on the road!

It took me 1h 30m but that included turning back to go home as I forgot my water & gloves! I also stopped a few times for a drink etc. It was tough, wet, cold and muddy but it was so satisfying and I can't wait to do it again and get faster and fitter. I'm extremely happy with myself and need you guys to all confirm how awesome I am :notworthy:

I'm signed up for the Caledonia Etape in May, so hopefully this will go a long way to helping my fitness for that!

Here is my commute on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/508179723

Cheers,
Darren

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
'Awesome' might be over stating it, but 14 miles and some climbing is a fairly tough commute for an experienced commuter, let alone a beginner.

'Well done' is appropriate at this time, but awesomeness may come your way if you make a habit of it.

Tin Pot

Guru
Long commutes are the New Way Forward!

As you've already discovered, being prepared is what it's all about :smile:

OP
OP
darrentaytay

darrentaytay

Über Member
Thanks for the messages guys! I really enjoyed it this morning, I bought a new pair of gloves today as my hands were ice cold after the commute - they were £29.99 but they are very nice and water proof!
If you're dong the Etape :bicycle:, there's always the Tayside Challenge the week before ... :training:

If you're able to do regular commutes by then, you'll have no worries. :okay:

Might be a good idea, thanks for the info!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well Done! When you first start that might be a bit much to do every day, just try to do the same each week and every now and again add in another day. I would say you become more organised but I managed to set off without a waterproof this week on a day when it was looking black and had to go back pretty sharpish!

Top Bottom