My first commute!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
darrentaytay

darrentaytay

Über Member
Thanks for the messages :smile:

I am going to get more organised - take a bunch of clothes to work on Monday to save me having to carry them in my backpack on the commute.

I'm going to try it twice next week and just keep slowly building my fitness and strength.

The only thing which worries me now is a puncture! I have a repair kit and pump with me but no replacement tubes - need to educate myself on that :smile:

Col5632

Guru
Definitely carry at least one spare tube at all times :smile:

Does any tube fit any tyre or are there different types and sizes and stuff to make it all complicated? :sad:
Just different sizes and different valve types. Generally road bikes use Presta valves and mtb either Presta or Schrader. The size is a combination of the wheel size - typically 700c for road bikes - and the width of the tyre. So for a 23mm tyre the size would be 700x23. Inner tubes don't need to be an exact fit so will fit a range of widths, it will say what the range is on the packaging.

OP
OP
darrentaytay

darrentaytay

Über Member
Just different sizes and different valve types. Generally road bikes use Presta valves and mtb either Presta or Schrader. The size is a combination of the wheel size - typically 700c for road bikes - and the width of the tyre. So for a 23mm tyre the size would be 700x23. Inner tubes don't need to be an exact fit so will fit a range of widths, it will say what the range is on the packaging.

Thanks, my tyres say "700 x 25C" - so does that mean i need 700 x 25 tubes?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks, my tyres say "700 x 25C" - so does that mean i need 700 x 25 tubes?

You need a tube that covers that width.

Take a look at this Schwalbe tube's box.

It's marked 28", but also 700c - they are the same.

Under 700c there is a range of widths from 18 to 28, thus this tube will fit your bike, assuming it has a presta valve.

31812_102075.jpg

OP
OP
darrentaytay

darrentaytay

Über Member
So would these ones do the trick?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-Presta-Valve-Inner-Tubes_51856.htm

edit: (excuse all the questions!)

LoftusRoadie

It took me 1h 30m but that included turning back to go home as I forgot my water & gloves! I also stopped a few times for a drink etc.

I make sure I have everything ready the night before. Each night I pack my rucksack with my work clothes for the next day, put out my cycling clothes ready to wear, put my full water bottle on the bike, and have my lunch in the fridge.
So in the morning I just have to get up, eat breakfast, go to the loo, get dressed, put my lunch in my rucksack and go!
Hope you keep enjoying your commute.

OP
OP
darrentaytay

darrentaytay

Über Member
I make sure I have everything ready the night before. Each night I pack my rucksack with my work clothes for the next day, put out my cycling clothes ready to wear, put my full water bottle on the bike, and have my lunch in the fridge.
So in the morning I just have to get up, eat breakfast, go to the loo, get dressed, put my lunch in my rucksack and go!
Hope you keep enjoying your commute.

Believe it or not, I had everything organised but I had put my water bottles in the fridge rather than the bike. Lesson learned though!

Top Bottom