My first ever puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Fellow CycleChatters, the day at last arrived. After 2 1/2 years of regular cycling, and many many years of occasional bike rides, I finally got a puncture.

Imagine my delight.

No, really, because at last I got a go at repairing one! It was luckily not an inconvenient puncture in the rain 20 miles from home, so I was actually happy to fix it. It was a tiny hole, probably a thorn, and very easily patched, though the process of getting the thing off the wheel was quite difficult - it was the back wheel of my semi-'bent which is a rather heavily engineered machine and didn't correspond to any of the diagrams in my 1980s copy of Richard's Bicycle Book. Mr G helped with getting the wheel back on as I needed a bit of heft to hold it in place, but otherwise I managed it all by feel with the bike hung up from one of the beams in the garage.

I checked to see if there was anything in the tyre that would puncture again but I couldn't find anything so I hope it doesn't happen again. But at least I'll know how! And I kind of feel a patched spare tube is a badge of honour.

U

User6179

Karma , you must be a really nice person to only get 1 puncture in 2 1/2 years .
I had 7 in one week before :smile:

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Karma , you must be a really nice person to only get 1 puncture in 2 1/2 years .
I had 7 in one week before :smile:
That's a nice thought, but I think it's because I don't cycle massive distances, I live in the country so no glass or other 'orrible town gutter debris, and I have bomb-proof tyres on my other regular bike, a hybrid. I only do about 30 miles a week at best!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's a nice thought, but I think it's because I don't cycle massive distances, I live in the country so no glass or other 'orrible town gutter debris, and I have bomb-proof tyres on my other regular bike, a hybrid. I only do about 30 miles a week at best!

Quite so.

It's only roadies with their super narrow, super light rubber band tyres who puncture all the time.

The podgy Marathon Supremes on my hybrid have never let me down.

Of course it could happen, so I carry a tube and patches.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done. The first is always the most satisfying one.
I used to live in the sticks and I still got P*******s. The farmer used to cut back the blackthorne hedges and didn't sweep up. As soon as I noticed the tractor trimming, I would turn tail and ride elsewhere. Sadly a lot of 'town debris' is finding it's way to our country roads. McDonalds debris mostly :angry:

U

User6179

[QUOTE 3522555, member: 9609"]I made a horrendous error last summer, I was showing off to my brother and his mate (who are obsessive cyclist) the tyres on my bike, 3000miles and not one single puncture - I kid you not, in the next fortnight i had three punctures, seriously you couldn't make this shoot up THREE punctures in two weeks. as they say never "speak of the ....."[/QUOTE]

I can beat that by some way , was telling my friend how good my tyres were after 3000 miles and then puncture within 30 seconds .
Then the replacements of same brand have all knackered within 500 miles .:sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I once had 3 in me be 2 miles,bit of glass I could not see or feel was sticking up just enough to catch the tube when inflated, I always carry 2 tubes just in case.

U

User6179

[QUOTE 3522591, member: 9609"]I'm not a superstioius person but sometimes things happen that are just odd.

what type of tyres were yors - mine are Armadillos. still rate them as a good tyre, but that was odd series of events[/QUOTE]

Mavic Aksions , I still have 4 left and 4 have knackered , I think they were rejects as the first 2 were nearly unbreakable , the puncture I got the first time was actually the tyre splitting at the rim and when I applied the brake it hit the tube that was protruding but that was 3000 miles or so .

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I do know all about the P*ncture Fairy (tips hat) and did mention a while ago on CC that I had never had a puncture, fully expecting a visit from Milady shortly thereafter. It has taken her a while - I can only conclude that I am not very important in the cycling hierarchy so was a long way down her "see to it!" list!

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Mavic Aksions , I still have 4 left and 4 have knackered , I think they were rejects as the first 2 were nearly unbreakable , the puncture I got the first time was actually the tyre splitting at the rim and when I applied the brake it hit the tube that was protruding but that was 3000 miles or so .
Hi Eddy.
The Aksions I had that came on the wheels a couple of years ago shredded like buggery after only about 3 weeks.
But I do live in London. Some roads here are like doing urban cyclocross.

U

User6179

Hi Eddy.
The Aksions I had that came on the wheels a couple of years ago shredded like buggery after only about 3 weeks.
But I do live in London. Some roads here are like doing urban cyclocross.

Hi RR
The first set I had were great , I then bought 4 of ebay and sent 2 back after a couple of weeks and bought another 2 but from a different seller , I then bought a bike of my mate that had the same tyres as I had recommended them :whistle:, so far 3 have had bulges and one that I sent back had a flat spot so I still have 4 of them left :wacko:
I think Mavic have changed to a different tyre now , the other thing is they are harder to put on than a M+ .
I had similar problems with Ultremos , I think they just cant handle all the power I put out :laugh:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
The Ultremos I bought were a bit of a pig aswell.
I didn't expect too much from the Aksions because they were on the rim when I bought the things, and they had no tread.
But three weeks?
London roads, are the whole, s##t!

U

User6179

The Ultremos I bought were a bit of a pig aswell.
I didn't expect too much from the Aksions because they were on the rim when I bought the things, and they had no tread.
But three weeks?
London roads, are the whole, s##t!

I think the Aksion are just rebranded Vittoria tyres , M+ for London I think would be best bet.

Top Bottom