My first long cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RUTHIEBAV

Hi
Some advice please.

I've borrowed my sister's racer and am doing a hilly 62 mile organised cycle on Sunday.

Is it normal to have a pain across your shoulders and back after a long ride?

Will an energy drink, some malt loaf, a banana and some jelly babies be enough to get me round or will I conk out?

Why do I get stomach ache after a long ride?

Can you sense the panic?!!
Thanks in advance.
Ruth :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
:biggrin:
re: shoulder pain, are you gripping the handlebars too hard? Are you wearing a heavy rucksack or something? Are you on the right size bike or hunched over/leaning too far?

Rebel Ian

As marinyork asks, did you carry anything on your back? One of my friends was suffering with back trouble carrying a camelbak so I put it on for her and it was agony between the shoulderblades after no time at all.

Cat

As suggested above, if you was wearing a rucksack etc, that can cause slight pain/tenderness, the other half was moaning that it was too heavy for him, so out of kindness and being a lot fitter i took it, and my shoulder killed the next day, like i had been kicked :biggrin:

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Thanks all for your comments and questions, really appreciate it.

To be honest I haven't ridden this particular bike overly much - about 8 longish (20 miles +) rides.

Perhaps the bike is a bit big for me, my sister is longer than I am. I'll buy my own if I survive this.

I think that I do grip the handlebars too tightly (I'm a bit frightened I'll fall off, it feels so fast!) so that's something to think about thanks for that one.

I don't have a rucksack (isn't that why you have a husband?! just joking, I'll be toeing him round, he's not as fit as me.) I spoke to someone today about the pain I'm in. Perhaps it is the combination of big hills and not a lot of gears. Perhaps the effort is causing me the pain. Has anyone else had this?

Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate the comments. Don't feel quite so alone!! Ruth x
Simon - you're obviously a bad person!!! - but appreciated the comment. Always good to smile!

RUTHIEBAV said:
Simon - you're obviously a bad person!!! - but appreciated the comment. Always good to smile!

:biggrin: :blush: :biggrin:

Ruth ... my touring bike is a size to big for me and i slid the saddle forward and raised the handlebars with the adjustable stem which made riding alot more comfortable for me

Simon

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Thanks Simon. I had moved the handlebars back towards me but when I put the bike in for a service they straightened them out and I didn't adjust them back - that might help. Thanks for the advice. Ruth x

delstron

I would leave the jelly babies in reserve for emergencies.

Have a big bowl of porrage for breakfast (daddy bear size) and add some dried fruit to it. Malt loaf should be OK for nibbling after 25 & 45 miles approx. If its hot drink plenty of water and as someone said, add some hydrating salts to the water.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Thanks Delstron. Had porridge but didn't have dried fruit so couldn't put that in.

I put some salts in the water and took malt loaf - so thanks all tips I could use. I took the jelly babies - had three very near the end when I was really struggling and felt really sick. Won't take them again. Yuk!

Took malt loaf but ended up eating bread pudding and flapjack which worked really well although its going to be a while before I can face either of them again!
Thanks for your post - really appreciate the advice. Ruth x

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

I DID IT!!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone who posted and helped me. All your advice really helped from the powder in the water to the don't wear a rucksack.

I'm a 40 something lady who really didn't believe I would get round 62 hilly miles and was incredibly nervous, your replies really helped. I can't believe so many of you bothered - I've never posted here before but it made a BIG difference. Thank you.

I made it round in a shade under 5 hours. That included:
* getting lost twice,
* my chain falling off,
* my husband's chain falling off
* dropped my water bottle (got to practice that one),
* husband running into the back of stationary car (couldn't stop in time as had a bottle in one hand),
* nearly falling off my bike trying to get up a hill because I couldn't stop laughing at the image of my husband shouting "sorry, sorry" to the people in the car,
* bag fell off my bike about 100 ish times (or that's what if felt like!)
* eating 3 bananas (2 more than I have eaten in the whole of the rest of my life, I hate them!)
* eating more food in 5 hours than I think I have ever eaten in that time scale,
* having one of the best days of my life.
Thank you once again to everyone who replied. I've had so much help from cyclists generally from you lot and the cyclists I trained with (trailed behind!) it has been an eye opener.
What a great bunch of people what a great sport. Next ride booked for July - 60 miler!
Ruth xx

Top Bottom