My first 'project'. Input would be LOVED.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Welcome to the forum, @garyo , and condolences for your loss. Was it from the secure cyclehub? If not, it would be worth the £10 outlay for a key fob.

That saddle definitely needs sorting out - if you want I could meet you armed with a few tools, hopefully set the saddle straight, possibly replace it with a slightly decrepit San Marco Rolls I have kicking around, and see what else needs fixing. Any major work would require attendance at my small but well-equipped outdoor workshop (aka back yard) in Carlton, about 3 miles East of Nottingham station, a bit closer than @Pat "5mph" - I hasten to add that it would be free of charge!

PM me for contact details.
Cheers, Poacher (Management Insultant & Amateur Velocipede Fettler)

Edited: PS if you prefer professional maintenance, Bunney's Bikes are just round the corner from the station and are OK, while according to the link I posted, there's a bike shop on site at the station - not known to me.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Welcome to the forum, @garyo , and condolences for your loss. Was it from the secure cyclehub? If not, it would be worth the £10 outlay for a key fob.

That saddle definitely needs sorting out - if you want I could meet you armed with a few tools, hopefully set the saddle straight, possibly replace it with a slightly decrepit San Marco Rolls I have kicking around, and see what else needs fixing. Any major work would require attendance at my small but well-equipped outdoor workshop (aka back yard) in Carlton, about 3 miles East of Nottingham station, a bit closer than @Pat "5mph" - I hasten to add that it would be free of charge!

Edited: PS if you prefer professional maintenance, Bunney's Bikes are just round the corner from the station and are OK, while according to the link I posted, there's a bike shop on site at the station - not known to me.

@Poacher that is a fantastic offer and well done to you , top marks and nice to see

OP
OP
garyo

garyo

Regular

That's fantastic. I'll attempt to pick this up at some point, thank you.

It was from the little public park just by the Station Street entrance, at the bottom of the stairs from the station bridge. I will indeed get myself a fob going forward. It's one of those things I use every few weeks but I don't really want to go through this again, more so because i can't be arsed ha ha.

That's an incredibly kind offer and one that i would love to take you up on that at some point. I work in music and it's peak festival (read: work) season right now but as we move out of summer, a short ride down your way might be on the cards. I actually picked this bugger up from Bulwell and cycled it home the other day and that's a longer distance, so this shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps we convene over a pint sometime. Gotta be a worthy reward for 3m ride? ha ha.

Nice. :becool:

Sorry to hear of the Hybrid though. :sad:

Raleignut, the hybrid is the worlds now, i hope someone enjoys it!!!

Hi and :welcome:
You have a nice looking bike . It is a shame that someone else took a fancy to your previous bike .
Smooth type road tyres will require less effort and you won't sound like a Landrover Discovery.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
It was from the little public park just by the Station Street entrance, at the bottom of the stairs from the station bridge. I will indeed get myself a fob going forward. It's one of those things I use every few weeks but I don't really want to go through this again, more so because i can't be arsed ha ha.
Forgot to mention the alternative secure parking, cages in various locations around the city, possibly more convenient, and half the price of the East Midlands Trains facility!
Apparently the one on Station Street is still in operation and close to the station. I have an old Citycard from when they were free, and have used several hubs (but to my shame, not much since I got my bus pass!). You'd still need to lock your bike, 'cos it looks pretty good, but the cages seem quite effective in deterring opportunistic thieves and destructive vandals. Details here.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
garyo

garyo

Regular
Hi and :welcome:
You have a nice looking bike . It is a shame that someone else took a fancy to your previous bike .
Smooth type road tyres will require less effort and you won't sound like a Landrover Discovery.

That's hilarious because honestly yesterday I went through a dry bit of pavement-into-grass with some leaves and gravel on and i honestly was like WHAT WAS THAT as i went over them. I thought i'd ran over some bubble wrap doused in popping candy.

Probably from around 1995.

I had a quick look through this lot, but couldn't find anything. If you've a spare afternoon trawl through the catalogues, they are a mine of information.

http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/library/index.php?action=asearch&searchtext=R&tpage=2&items=96

Wow what a terrific resource. Thank you for flagging this to me. I'll have a gander at some point! Just wonderful.

Forgot to mention the alternative secure parking, cages in various locations around the city, possibly more convenient, and half the price of the East Midlands Trains facility!
Apparently the one on Station Street is still in operation and close to the station. I have an old Citycard from when they were free, and have used several hubs (but to my shame, not much since I got my bus pass!). You'd still need to lock your bike, 'cos it looks pretty good, but the cages seem quite effective in deterring opportunistic thieves and destructive vandals. Details here.

Having pondered this I suspect that the secure parking and the occasional 'bring it with me' will be the method going forward. I am going to have to get that saddle down though. It's too tall for me now let alone later!!!

Last edited:

Salar

A fish out of water
Try and get a cheap copy of this book if you like Raleighs "Raleigh Past and Presence" Not sure why it is presence and not present, unless it's a play on words. (Couldn't find the Jackal in there though)

raleigh.jpg

OP
OP
garyo

garyo

Regular
As a general question to anyone reading this thread at this point, I've just bent my admittedly weakling allen multi-key attempting to undo the attached.

Firstly, anyone wanna give me the technical name for that LOL. That's me being lazy.

Secondly, i was trying to undo it on the pemis I could perhaps raise my handlebar a tiny bit now that i've got my saddle sorted (thanks to a nice man opposite my office who repairs washing machines but has tools.... so yeah). I actually, thinking about it won't achieve my mission here will i... probably need a booster thing?

Attachments

• handlebars.jpg
    handlebars.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
garyo

garyo

Regular
[QUOTE 5340813, member: 43827"]Keep an eye out for Lidl or Aldi special sales of bike stuff. They do a nice, cheap bike toolkit that will handle most jobs you will need.

Be careful, because once you start, tinkering can become addictive and expensive![/QUOTE]

This is a fear I am already experiencing. Fortunately, aint got it can't spend it haha.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
As a general question to anyone reading this thread at this point, I've just bent my admittedly weakling allen multi-key attempting to undo the attached.

Firstly, anyone wanna give me the technical name for that LOL. That's me being lazy.

Secondly, i was trying to undo it on the pemis I could perhaps raise my handlebar a tiny bit now that i've got my saddle sorted (thanks to a nice man opposite my office who repairs washing machines but has tools.... so yeah). I actually, thinking about it won't achieve my mission here will i... probably need a booster thing?

You need a 6mm allen key for that and its a quill stem

Top Bottom