My first project!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
My plan was to pick up a steel road bike and convert it to single speed.

I stumbled upon a Raleigh Pro Race on eBay a week ago and managed to do a deal outside of the auction. I collected the bike on Thursday evening.

I put some air in the tyres last night and they were still pumped up this morning so I took it for a quick spin up and down my road. The position is very racey compared to my Scott CR1 Pro (setup for longer distance comfort) so took some getting used to but its a very smooth ride and I can't wait to start upgrading bits.

At the moment I will leave it geared whilst I replace the usual wear and tear items like tyres, chain, cables, brake blocks etc...

So here are the pics pretty much as I bought it minus a pump and some retro light holders. Apologies for the lack of plain background blah blah blah but I'm seriously lacking space in the house at the moment!!

Complete_zps64c61a8b.jpg

Steerer_zps70cbaf3d.jpg

FrontFork_zps047d4740.jpg

SeatPost_zpsa5ea19fb.jpg

BottleHolder_zps60cf74e6.jpg

Bar_zpscd99a552.jpg

BottomBrackat_zpsdda3b0bf.jpg

Stem_zpsb1263a2c.jpg

Levers_zps2a198a76.jpg

Brakes_zpsd1c76195.jpg

Tyre_zpsb96cb508.jpg

CrankCloseup_zps56bd3629.jpg

Rim_zpscb7ff770.jpg

RearMech_zpsfc437365.jpg

FrontMech_zpsfa88c11f.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@JoeyB that looks a keeper

LimeBurn

Über Member
Quite like that - dont think I could turn it into a fixie though with the race inspired paint job but would fancy it as a restoration - dont forget though that if you replace the chain etc then when you do come to fixie it then you'll probably have to replace it again to fit the new cogs.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
That looks ideal for a single speed conversion

It is, but I kind of feel bad removing the groupset that seems to be working perfectly fine...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Brake replacement would be a good one to start with as the old Weinmanns are not the best.:hyper:

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Brake replacement would be a good one to start with as the old Weinmanns are not the best.:hyper:

Yeah as it is the rear brake position defaults to rubbing against one side of the wheel. Any recommendations for a cheap replacement?

My eBay workstand arrives tomorrow, once I have that I'll clean the bike up and fit its new boots...then more pics!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I replaced mine with some Shimano 105's I got off e bay, you just need to make a note of the drop and purchase like for like

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Question, if I did keep it geared.... could I buy a wheelset that takes a cassette (instead of a freewheel) and buy a new 6 speed cassette? Or do they not exist?

Top Bottom