My first project!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well I finally got out for a ride on this today. Love it!

I purposely didn't change gear for most of the ride (other than to check they all work) to see how I'll get on when I single speed it.

It's a lot more agile than my carbon bike, and a lot quieter!

I definitely need wider handle bars and the brakes are not very accessible so that needs sorting. Other than that I'm really happy with this bike. I really do need to get used to the 'racey' geometry, my hands were aching through the extra weight going through them, but I'm guessing thats normal?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@JoeyB to single speed exsisting wheels you will need lbs to re dish and space rear wheel to give you correct chainline , shouldnt cost more than £15

glad you enjoying it , it gets addictive be warned

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
@JoeyB to single speed exsisting wheels you will need lbs to re dish and space rear wheel to give you correct chainline , shouldnt cost more than £15

glad you enjoying it , it gets addictive be warned

OK I went to the LBS just now (with the bike) and they said a redish won't achieve what I'm looking to do?? He said a redish will just move the rim line but won't do anything for chain alignment when I change to a single speed sprocket... have i missed something or did I ask for the wrong thing?

He said my best bet would be to buy a single speed wheel....?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The LBS is right. A hub designed for a screw on freewheel, then the thread is too far 'in' for a single speed sprocket to line up the chain perfectly.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The LBS is right. A hub designed for a screw on freewheel, then the thread is too far 'in' for a single speed sprocket to line up the chain perfectly.

my lbs have done it loads of times for me , last time was last week .

never had any issues either long term reliability

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
my lbs have done it loads of times for me , last time was last week .

never had any issues either long term reliability

My LBS said redishing the wheel will only realign the rim for instance if its not passing through the brakes centrally...he said it wont make any difference to where the hub locates and therefore no change to chainline...which I guess kind of makes sense

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My LBS said redishing the wheel will only realign the rim for instance if its not passing through the brakes centrally...he said it wont make any difference to where the hub locates and therefore no change to chainline...which I guess kind of makes sense

my understanding is the idea is to keep the rim central in the frame but move the hub outwards to help achieve chainline , sometimes a narrower bottom bracket spindle along with a single ring crankset is required .

the above along with spacers on the rear axle will give you a good chainline , if i get chance 2 moro will get some pics done of latest bike just finished .

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
my understanding is the idea is to keep the rim central in the frame but move the hub outwards to help achieve chainline , sometimes a narrower bottom bracket spindle along with a single ring crankset is required .

the above along with spacers on the rear axle will give you a good chainline , if i get chance 2 moro will get some pics done of latest bike just finished .

Thanks, much appreciated.

I read that you can get some adjustment by changing bottom bracket, so I understand that fine. Its just the rear setup that is confusing me a bit, especially the use of spacers etc.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!

I think the penny just dropped but look forward to pics.

So you use a spacer on the non hub side to shift the hub over and then you redish the wheel to get the rim running back in line between the brakes etc...?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So why couldnt the LBS work that out! lol I go to them 'cos they're supposed to be the experts...

who knows ? try a different one @JoeyB

spaced.JPG

Top Bottom