My first project!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Cheers for the info. Brake blocks changed, no apparent difference but not sure if they need bedding in?

The original value doesn't really interest me, I love riding it....that's what counts.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Nothing much has changed on the bike since the last update but I have purchased a quinn / ahead adapter, a new stem and a set of wider handlebars. I will shortly pick up some bar tape and then I can go about fitting it all.

Oh, and I also have a Brooks B17 enroute thanks to @biggs682

Once the next round of parts are fitted I'll get some more pics!

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I have now taken possession of a gorgeous looking Honey B17 saddle. I also popped into my new favourite LBS earlier and booked the bike in for a rear wheel redish on the 14th April. So now I've committed myself to the single speed conversion! Just need to get a rear cog, crank and chain before then.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
image.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Can someone tell me what type of BB I have when looking for a new crank? Is it a JIS type?
Well worth letting the lbs supply and fit. Mine did one for about £30 all in. With compatibility issues, type, length etc, takes the stress out of it.

Cheers keith

Sharky

Guru
You're doing a grand job. Stick to it. In my case, I was doing an upgrade, changing chain set for something completely different. I'd already taken a punt, with a bb in a certain length, but was having problems removing one of the old bits. Had all the right tools, but not the enough strength. So I gave up and took it to the lbs, along with the bb I'd bought.

Turns I'd bought the wrong length bb any way and they fitted one of theirs.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers keith

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Cheers Keith! I'm hoping I don't need to change BB but we'll see when it comes to fitting the crank! I'm going to take a punt on an eBay jobby for now just to get me going. I can always upgrade later to something nicer. I just need to get riding!!

young Ed

Veteran
excellent! :biggrin:
the LBS redishing the new r500?

also out of interest what is better about ahead headset/stem rather than quill?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
excellent! :biggrin:
the LBS redishing the new r500?

also out of interest what is better about ahead headset/stem rather than quill?
Cheers Ed
No I'll cancel the LBS booking now, no need to redish a free hub wheel can just use spacers.

I prefer the ahead style stem and gives more options for height / angle adjustment in my opinion.

young Ed

Veteran
say sorry to the LBS on behalf of a random 15 year old on the internet! :tongue:

once forks are installed you have next to no adjustment height wise with a ahead stem but on a quill stem you have lots whenever you want
and as for angle yes the ahead stem does allow you to flip it upside down so you have 2 angles
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom