My first project!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Made good progress today. Just waiting for crank, chain and rear cog to arrive. Need to get bar tape too.. And ideally some new brakes before the tape goes on

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Made good progress today. Just waiting for crank, chain and rear cog to arrive. Need to get bar tape too.. And ideally some new brakes before the tape goes on

What are you doing for brakes? I'd advocate modern brakes as oldies can be a bit scary if you're used to dual-pivot.

young Ed

Veteran
Yes the weinmanns are shocking! Id like to source some cheap 105s or similar.
105's are under £50 for a pair wherever you go so i say go 105
i rode someone else bike for 25 odd miles with full 105 group set and the brakes were well adjusted with good clean pads and they were great! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Anyone got any pointers on how old I can go for 105's before they no longer fall into the 'modern' category?

The issue you'll have is the drop. If you're putting modern 700c wheels on an old imperial frame modern brakes won't reach the rims, you'll need long reach / deep drop brakes. That nice @dktd has just found some at a reasonable price, maybe he'll bimble along and give you the low-down.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
The issue you'll have is the drop. If you're putting modern 700c wheels on an old imperial frame modern brakes won't reach the rims, you'll need long reach / deep drop brakes. That nice @dktd has just found some at a reasonable price, maybe he'll bimble along and give you the low-down.
Bike had 700c wheels fitted as standard, and I've just replaced them with Shimano R500s :smile:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Bike had 700c wheels fitted as standard, and I've just replaced them with Shimano R500s :smile:

Job's a goodun then :smile:

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
About time I posted some pics of the weekend work!

Sorry for the busy backdrop, hopefully the pics are OK!

Bike started the day looking like this:

IMG_5032_zps626b03af.jpg

IMG_5034_zps11386133.jpg

IMG_5035_zps84c5b4c2.jpg

First job, chain off. Followed by wheels...

IMG_5037_zpsa7eeb7e3.jpg

IMG_5049_zpsd4616a8d.jpg

RD next...

IMG_5052_zps69b795af.jpg

Then FD... starting to look cleaner already

IMG_5056_zpsb1655bff.jpg

IMG_5057_zpsa196a10c.jpg

Now the front end...

IMG_5060_zps202328f8.jpg

Pile of parts building up...

IMG_5065_zps3ae90f8c.jpg

Test fitted my Ahead adaptor, all looks good