My first project!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well I went down the road to a different LBS.....jackpot! They used to be a Raleigh Gold Service Centre (or something along those lines). I was lucky enough to be served by the owner and spent about 15mins just talking about my bike and it's background. He said it was around the £450 mark when new although it does only have entry level components.

He then took my downstairs into the workshop and showed me an old Corsair Carlton that a customer has brought in for work. Really friendly chap and exactly what I've been hoping to find from an LBS.

I spotted some seconds drop bars and a stem, so I picked those up along with some brake pads.

He knew exactly what I was talking about with the redishing of the wheel and use of spacers and will do the work for about £15. Happy with that!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@JoeyB thats a result then

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Rode it to work this morning, boy are the brakes bad lol.

Fitted the replacement Clark pads when I got to the office, we'll see how it improves things when I go home for lunch.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
in single speed or geared format ?

Its still geared. Although I don't bother changing gear, too much effort lol.

I'll sort the final swap over last, I want to sort some other bits first and the LBS were low on staff at the moment so he said if I waited two weeks it would be turned around in a day (wheel re-dish). That time frame suits me tbh

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
@JoeyB Have you still got the Weinmann brakes on it ?

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well I was going to leave the wheelset for the time being but I might have some funds to address this now. I was thinking some Shimano R501 wheels as they seem good VFM at the moment. I assume they will be better than what I have?

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I would change the brake blocks for a start they were never much kop and the stopping will be dramatically improved. If you want to go fixed I think you would be getting a cheapy rear off ebay (Raleigh do them from about £35.00 and I raced on one last year with no issues) rather then messing about with redishing an old rim with probably seized spoke nipples. you can take the spacers off the one side to put on the other if you must once the block is off this way you don't make the axle wider. I don't think the bike would have ever reached £450 as it is only the frame main tubes in 501 which wasn't that good anyway. It wouldn't have been a bad bike in its day but certainly would not have been to high up the Raleigh tree, not to say it won't be a bad ride when done. good luck and enjoy what ever you decide.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
also with that chain set you get a choice of 4 positions for the chosen chain ring as they are slightly dished and can go either way and either side on the spider so this gives you a bit more flexibility on alignment for the single speed.

Top Bottom