My first project!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
@4F

Do you have to use a special fixed hub rear wheel for a fixed setup? Could I use a screw on cog on my old freewheel hubbed rear wheel?

A track hub has a dual threaded section, with the outer threads in the opposite direction for a lock ring. Your old wheel if only threaded on one side, won't take a lock ring. The wheels in the post above are good value @ £99, but might have to add spacers to make up the width from 120mm.

As long as you keep a rear brake, you can ride without a lock ring, but any severe back peddling could cause the sprocket to unwind.

Enjoy what you have done so far and look out for Project N+1

Well done
Keith

D

Deleted member 1258

I can't vouch for the wheels on this site but the pedals and chain I have brought from here have been good, and as a wheel set to get you started the price aint bad

http://singlespeedcomponents.co.uk/wheels.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You don't need a lock ring if you don't intend skidding and have two brakes. I've only recently fitted a lockring after 5 years as my new wheels came with one !

oldstrath

Über Member
I can't vouch for the wheels on this site but the pedals and chain I have brought from here have been good, and as a wheel set to get you started the price aint bad

http://singlespeedcomponents.co.uk/wheels.html
I've used one of their 'Premium wheels' (Quando hub) for a couple of winters, no significant issues with it. Needed a bit of retruing on arrival, but that could have been due to the courier's less than careful handling, and had no problems since then. Not the smoothest hub ever, and not the best reputation, but it gets me to work and back (probably do about 150 miles a week on that bike)

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well after breaking the pinch screws on my front brakes whilst fitting new cable, I picked up a couple more today from my LBS.... £2 each! Impressed they actually had them though, they did say they don't sell too many any more.

Assuming I don't break this set I just need some bar tape now!

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Cobbled a front brake together and fitted the cheapo plastic pedals I had spare. Then couldn't resist a quick spin up and down the garden... IT ONLY BLOODY WORKS!

Front crank needs tightening up and stem is slightly off center but apart from that is super smooth and quiet. Position is much nicer now wider bars and more upright stem have been fitted. Still racier than my road bike tho so that's good. I have a feeling the gearing is gonna man my legs up a bit aswell lol!

Great thread and a real nice ride you've got there JoeyB
I'm going a similar route as the Doc's have now told be no more Fixed Gear riding for me so over to single speed.
I've just won a similar 12spd Raleigh from the 'Bay but will be using a few of the fixed gear parts off my current soon to be skid for parts Fixed Gear and a new Freewheel
Had a Raleigh Road Bike as a kid so think I must be regressing.

Andrew1971

Veteran
Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labour. Its a great buzz when it all works as is should :-) and a good looking bike too.

kloeshuman

Your 46-18 gearing should be fine, I run a 45-17 . I had picked up a double road crank that runs a hollow tech bb, and it worked out just fine. I changed out the double rings for a 45t and set the ring on the inside so it lined up easier.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Oh no... I've just been looking at bar / stem / seat post options (unsure about the black and the seat post needs sorting) and I've just come across the Ritchey Classic 2013 lineup. If I buy all three that would be more than the entire project has cost me!

Must resist...

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
image.jpg

Top Bottom