My first puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
Big deal you say. Normally I'd agree, however, this new bike has a Nexus hub - flat's on the back, quelle surprise - and uses a concentric bottom bracket. Is there anything I should be aware of before taking the wheel off because I've only ever fixed punctures on derailleur equipped bikes.

Thanks in advance.

I went riding one Sunday with a couple of friends, one of whom had just had bike converted to hub gear s said ominously "I must go back to the shop tomorrow and get them to show me how to remove the rear wheel."

You'll never, ever guess which one of us got a puncture. We ended up patching the tube in place.

Sharky

Guru
Google eccentric bb's

You may have enough slack in the chain to take it off the chain wheel and then the rear sprocket and than can take the wheel off. Otherwise you'll have to workout how to twist the bb with correct tools and slacken the chain.

Never done it myself, so a bit of guess work .

Good luck

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Big deal you say. Normally I'd agree, however, this new bike has a Nexus hub - flat's on the back, quelle surprise - and uses a concentric bottom bracket. Is there anything I should be aware of before taking the wheel off because I've only ever fixed punctures on derailleur equipped bikes.
1. Patch it without taking the wheel out if at all possible. There's a video on YouTube from really useful bikes (Rob Bushill) which I've linked on CC a few times.

2. If you must take the wheel out, watch videos of the procedure.

3. Take digital pictures of everything you can think of and some you can't.

4. Make a note of which washers face which way on which order on each side, as well as which are inside and outside of the dropouts and any axle mounted accessories.

5. While the wheel's out, fit something like a Marathon and a good Woods valve tube (I'm using Impac lately) so you don't have to repeat this so often.

It still takes me far too long and I still have to unclip the chain to get the wheel out neatly. Sturmey Archers with the chain held tense in forwards facing dropouts are much easier IMO.

Well done. The first person here on my ignore list might be a fellow Nationalist.
Just take everything I post as being in jest, otherwise ignore list away

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If the bike has vertical drop-outs the wheel may release and replace with the chain in place, so no need to touch the eccentric bottom bracket.

In the longer term you could think about fitting a chain tensioner.

The one in this pic is a Shimano Alfine tensioner on an Alfine 11 bike.

The chain can be routed either above or below the jockey wheel, which means there's loads of adjustment.

It may seem a bit daft to fit a tensioner when you have an eccentric bottom bracket to do the job, but it might make sense if the eccentric bb is a fiddle to adjust, particularly if you have to do it at the roadside.

Chain tension1.1.jpg

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Take it to your LBS, they will work for you too..

Nah, I'd prefer to learn how to do it myself. The only thing I know I can't do is build & true wheels. Otherwise how hard can it be.

The only thing I'm unsure of is the gear cable connection. If anything's going to go ping it's surely that.

Top Bottom