My first real off... ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IainC

5 yr lurker
My smug feeling at getting up early for my routine 7 mile circuit this morning has been well and truly trounced by now having no skin on my left leg from ankle to knee, and ditto on my left arm from hand to elbow. If anyone is minded to dole out some sympathy, that would be lovely, but actually there's a serious question attached to this... :laugh:

My ride started pretty normally, first 4 miles at a brisk pace, roads a little damp but nothing dramatic. The I approached a corner I usually manage at 15mph or so, but I slowed down as I was worried about the bike sliding away... which is exactly what it did. I was left on my a**e, bike still clipped to one foot, skin on road. Most importantly of all, the bike was not damaged except for scrapes on both shifters and in need of a new QR skewer. A limp home and a bath in dettol sorted me out.

My question is this- my tyres are cheapy made in Thailand numbers, never had a problem with them, but am now considering some alternatives with more grip for my 700c clinchers. Suggestions welcome that may save me from the same fate again.

Ta very much for any advice

BSRU

A Human Being
Assuming the no oil or worse diesel involved, like ice on wet roads, I would suggest Continental GP 4 Seasons or even GP 4000s. Both have excellent grip in the wet with the GP 4 Seasons having two puncture protection layers rather the one the GP 4000s's have.
I use GP 4 Seasons all year, apart from ice/snow, and they are great in the dry and wet:thumbsup:.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ouch, heal quick and hope not too much damage to the bike.

For all year round commuting I use Durano Plus'.
For all round year leisure riding, Vittoria Rubino's.

Keith Oates

Janner
Ouch indeed, with a lot of skin missing the pain will be with you for a while but I hope it clears up quickly and you make sure there is no dirt in the wounds. As for the tyres there are some good ones around but they are a little pricey, personally I like Michelin but there are others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
I

IainC

5 yr lurker
Thanks for the suggestions so far, much appreciated, as is the sympathy! That ideal cross between grippy as a grippy thing but with low rolling resistance and good comfort is what's needed. Possibly a little too much to ask :laugh:

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks for the suggestions so far, much appreciated, as is the sympathy! That ideal cross between grippy as a grippy thing but with low rolling resistance and good comfort is what's needed. Possibly a little too much to ask :laugh:
No, I think the tyres suggested by people all have low rolling resistance and are grippy at the same time. You can get GP 4 Seasons in 28's.

What are you looking to spend @IainC? My liking is for Mitchelin Krylion Carbons (or Pro 4 Endurance) they offer a good balance of grip/roll/weight/endurance/cost IMO. The 4 seasons are better for grip/roll but not as good on the Endurance/cost hence why I changed to the Mitch. The 4000s offer better grip/roll again but are less durable again and cost more.

Biker Joe

Über Member
You have my full sympathy having also left my skin on the road a few times. (Still carrying the scars on one arm ^_^)
Tires? Well,I would go for the Continental GP 4 Seasons or GP 4000s. Well worth considering are also the Schwalbe Ultremo zx evolution v-guard folding road tyre which have some very good reviews.

OP
OP
I

IainC

5 yr lurker
Thanks all, and @HLaB, I'm looking to spend 60-80 quid for the pair - if I develop a nasty infection I may well be able to get a grant from the OH for more ^_^. Sounds like the GP4 or 4000s come well recommended so I'll look into those.

Seen a few people recently with what I can only describe as multicoloured tyres- black in the very middle 5mm and red/orange surrounding this. Just out of interest, are those dual compound tires, or am I missing an opportunity to show off the equivalent of some rolling bling :laugh:?

U

User6179

Thanks all, and @HLaB, I'm looking to spend 60-80 quid for the pair - if I develop a nasty infection I may well be able to get a grant from the OH for more ^_^. Sounds like the GP4 or 4000s come well recommended so I'll look into those.

Seen a few people recently with what I can only describe as multicoloured tyres- black in the very middle 5mm and red/orange surrounding this. Just out of interest, are those dual compound tires, or am I missing an opportunity to show off the equivalent of some rolling bling :laugh:?

gp4000s are grippy but wont last on winter roads, coloured tyres tend to offer less grip than black in the same model.

OP
OP
I

IainC

5 yr lurker
Blimey, it's taken a long time for me to update this thread. But as it goes, and after 6 X-rays, it turns out that I broke a bone in my hand. So I bought myself some new wheels (Giant P-SLR1's, DT-Swiss based) and some Conti 4 seasons to go on them on the justification that "I'll be much safer on these so it's worth the outlay, honest" :angel:. Fair outcome I reckon :laugh:

Thanks all for the advice and input

Top Bottom