My first ride in the dark.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Tonight, I did my first ride in the dark. Only 10.5 miles but I wanted to experience riding with lights on. To be honest, I did not feel comfortable, I kept checking the lights to make sure they were working and was glad to be back home. So now, I think I will stick to daylight, I feel much safer knowing my visibility is much clearer.

nappadang

Über Member
Each to their own and at least you've tried it. Definitely a sensible move sticking with what your comfortable with. Taking the enjoyment away and adding stress is a recipe for something to go wrong.

stu9000

You could get one or two fibre flares.
Night riding just reminds me of being a kid again, slipping through the empty black streets with everyone else locked up in their boxes.

Tyke

It`s good when you get used to it. Put two lights on it`s unlikely they will both fail at the same time. Unless you do like me yesterday and forget to turn them on.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You don't ride when it's dark, wet, cold or windy. This is Britain, not your native France, so I think you're limiting your cycling options.

Night riding with good lights is far safer than day riding in my experience.

Crankarm

Guru
Tonight, I did my first ride in the dark. Only 10.5 miles but I wanted to experience riding with lights on. To be honest, I did not feel comfortable, I kept checking the lights to make sure they were working and was glad to be back home. So now, I think I will stick to daylight, I feel much safer knowing my visibility is much clearer.

They must be really poor lights. Get some proper lights. Then if these fail you WILL know about it as you will be in darkness.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

They must be really poor lights. Get some proper lights. Then if these fail you WILL know about it as you will be in darkness.
They are proper lights but first time use. I did have two front and two at tbe back as well as rear helmet light.

Crankarm

Guru
They are proper lights but first time use. I did have two front and two at tbe back as well as rear helmet light.

If you have to check they're on then they are crap. Trust me when good bike lights are switched on, you definatley know they are on and so do other road users.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

You don't ride when it's dark, wet, cold or windy. This is Britain, not your native France, so I think you're limiting your cycling options.

Night riding with good lights is far safer than day riding in my experience.
I ride in the cold but not on icy roads.

GrasB

Veteran
Decent front lights will be visible to you in all night conditions on the road, rear lights should be visible in your standard rear ward checks. Not special checking needed.

Top Bottom