My first touring bike - help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's probably a good bike, it's just not a tourer.

It might manage light touring, but the chainstays are short so your heel might catch your panniers and it only has clearance for skinny tyres with it's side pull brakes.

Add to that, a limited section of gears with only a double chainset and it's going to be, at best, a compromise.

galaxy1

£1,149.99!!!!"!!!!!! For a Galaxy from Evans ??!?!?!?!?!?!???? That is completly ridiculous...

willem

Über Member
With nearly all parts and the frame imported (plus maybe foreign assembly, who knows), and the pound about a quarter lower than before, what do you expect? I still think it is a good buy, but then I count in euros. The price in euros has stayed the same.
Willem

rich p

ridiculous old lush
galaxy1 said:
Mine new was about £700ish about 5 years ago.It just seems mega steep for a galaxy

You obviously missed the priuce hike Helen referred to!

Earthuman, there are no bike shops in Brighton that sell tourers apart from Evans and their best selection of Dawes is at Gatwick.
Baker Street bikes have a Surly LHT frame to make up if it happens to be your size. They also do Ridgeback tourers I believe.

OP
OP
earthuman

earthuman

Thanks - Yes, I've been round to all the bike shops here, but as you say, there isn't really any selection about. Had a look at Baker Street bikes as I am quite interested in the LHT (keep eyeing it on wiggle - seems decent price and lots of rave reviews online). The LHT at baker street has been set up as sort of an about town bike. The guy at the shop told me that the Ridgeback is more of a traditional tourer...will keep my eye out for a second hand bargain for now. I've got about a month and a half or so as I intend to take off sort of mid october time for an extended tour, but want to get a bike soon so that I can do a couple short trips before that.

rich p said:
You obviously missed the priuce hike Helen referred to!

Earthuman, there are no bike shops in Brighton that sell tourers apart from Evans and their best selection of Dawes is at Gatwick.
Baker Street bikes have a Surly LHT frame to make up if it happens to be your size. They also do Ridgeback tourers I believe.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
earthuman said:
Thanks - Yes, I've been round to all the bike shops here, but as you say, there isn't really any selection about. Had a look at Baker Street bikes as I am quite interested in the LHT (keep eyeing it on wiggle - seems decent price and lots of rave reviews online). The LHT at baker street has been set up as sort of an about town bike. The guy at the shop told me that the Ridgeback is more of a traditional tourer...will keep my eye out for a second hand bargain for now. I've got about a month and a half or so as I intend to take off sort of mid october time for an extended tour, but want to get a bike soon so that I can do a couple short trips before that.

The LHT is very popular with US tourers. If you have a look at crazyguyonabike.com you'll see people using them for very long tours.

willem

Über Member
The LHT is one of the bikes I admire. Have a look at the US specs for the complete bike. They are as sensible as the frame.
Willem

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A bike that has not appeared on the radar is The Decathlon B'Twin Triban Trail 7. I bought one in Orleans a week ago when the drop out fractured on my old trusty Dawes Galaxy. Total cost of ownership over the next six months worked out less for the B'Twin as there were many components coming to the end of their lives on the Galaxy and a repair and respray is not that cheap.

I wanted a speedy resolution to my problem and the B'Twin exceeeded my expectations. It comes complete with hub dynamo, lights, mudguards and rear rack. It has lock out on the front suspension forks and caost £299 here in the UK - cheaper than in France where I paid €399. The bike is comfortable and was no slower than the Galaxy. I'll probably use it as a commuter bike and for touring for the next few years.

The UK price represents value for money.

OP
OP
earthuman

earthuman

Hi all!

Just want to say thanks to everyone for all their input. After many hours and evenings spent cruising the online world and a few visits to the local bike shops I've decided to drop a bit for a surly LHT. Now getting the odd bits, tent and what not for the trip ahead. I'll be doing a few long weekends to break myself in and I plan to set off early october. As I've been made redundant and my landlord is selling my flat the only thing that holds me back is my bank balance! So France here we come and then we'll take it from there! Thanks everyone and I will continue to read the posts here with much interest!

Talk soon

Vinko

Top Bottom