My first touring bike- new project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

buzz22

It is looking fab. I like friction too and it's nice to be able to just chuck a different wheel/freewheel/cassette on and not worry about changing shifters.

Definitely- it only needs an adjustment of the limit screws and I can mix and match. Friction shifters feel like the equivalent of driving a manual car- I'm more involved in the process.

Friction shifters feel like the equivalent of driving a manual car- I'm more involved in the process.
Ah, I prefer EZ-Fires on flat bars. Semi-auto?
And the car? Auto-everything with cruise control!
:biggrin:

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Some disappointment this morning after another test ride around the garage (it's been a week of rain).
I noticed the first time I rode it that the bars had a tendency to wander, especially to the right. Handling was a bit nervous and required constant input to the bars.
I put this down to a few possible causes- tyre choice, pressure, incompatible tyre on rim, headset bearings.
After making sure both tyres were at 80 psi I rode it again and noted little change.
This morning I swapped in a known set of wheels (Araya 700c) with good tyres (Maxxis Refuse 700 x 23 @ 100 psi) that I knew were fine on other bikes.

Results were the same.

It was then that I noticed that despite the wheel pointing straight ahead there was a twist in the forks, slightly to the left. This explains the tendency to countersteer to the right so with little invested ($100) for the bike plus parts I can use elsewhere I may have to cut my losses.
It may be a case of using the Deore driveline on another bike and converting my "throwback" bike with it's relaxed geometry into a light touring rig- the long wheelbase would be a good fit.
20220504_153821.jpg

The front fork limits me to a 25mm tyre but that's ok, with a 28mm on the back it's comfortable and has eyelets on the rear dropouts for a rack.
The 13-28 7 speed on the back should be a good match for the Deore triple and the upright riding position is already comfortable.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

20220722_135803.jpg

20220722_135730.jpg

The Deore driveline (apart from the 12-32 cassette) has been switched over from the touring bike to another bike- I know this one has nice easy handling and is a comfortable long distance bike.
I've kept the Mavic Open 4 CD rims on it as they're 36 spoke and in great condition, along with the Shimano 600 Ultegra Tricolor brake levers, front brake and downtube shifters.
I'll need to adapt the rack with some 'P' clips as there's no eyelets on this one but otherwise it's ready for the road.
This bike hasn't really been ridden too much since I originally put it together so with the new purpose that should change.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

or quite cheaply replaced. A chromed set will blend in with any paint job.

@buzz22 that black bike look like a significantly bigger frame. surely if one is the right size for you, the other isn't??

My bikes are a range of sizes- my road bikes range from around 60cm (about 24 inches) up to the black one which is 66cm (26 inches).
Between seat posts, set back and stems I'm pretty comfortable on all of them.
The black one has never been a bike to throw around, it's definitely more comfortable seated so lower gearing isn't a bad thing.
The new green one ended up being a little smaller than I thought (59cm seat tube) but felt comfortable enough.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

The Topeak rack went on ok with the help of some rubber lined 'P' clips.
It's rated for 25kg so should easily handle what I need to carry.
20220722_164919.jpg

20220722_164715.jpg

OP
OP
B

buzz22

20220725_124036.jpg

20220725_134606.jpg

My plan B version of a touring bike got it's first outing today and did well.
The lower gears got a workout on some decent hills and the rack carried a light load easily- at one stage I forgot it was there.
As it is now I'd be comfortable doing an overnighter on it. To make life easier I've ordered one of these to make accessing phone, snacks etc easier:
images.jpeg-13.jpg

images.jpeg-14.jpg

Top Bottom