1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My fixies ill

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by RedBike, 28 Feb 2008.

1. RedBike

RedBike New Member

The chain on my fixie keeps coming off.

It's been fine for months but just recently it keeps jumping off whenever I try to slow the bike via the pedals.

There's plenty of tension in the chain (probably too much) and the chainlines about as perfect as i'm going to get it.

Any ideas?

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

How old (how many miles) is the chain?

3. andygates

andygates New Member

And is your chainring or sprocket worn? Between that and the chain and Something Moving That Shouldn't, that's all that *can* go wrong :blush:

4. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I'm having the same problem with my roadbike - any pressure on the chain and it's likely to come off.

I think it's because the chainring is oscillating slightly from side to side - just enough to throw the chain if I put pressure on when it's offline. It's flippin' dangerous - specially up hill.

Have a look at the chain rings.

5. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

I had this problem and in my case the chainring bolts had come loose, resulting in the chainring flopping about.

6. OP
    OP
    RedBike

RedBike New Member

I've buckled the chainring. I can't believe I didn't notice!
    Oh well new ring ordered and hopefully problem solved.

7. Alan Frame

Alan Frame Gnu

I wonder what those who advocate having no brakes on their fixed gear bike would do when their chain unshipped ?

8. dudi

dudi Senior Member

crash i suspect...

i could never leave home without a rim brake...

9. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Do what we did when we were kids - jam your foot down and wreck your shoes. Only this time without the bollocking from Mum.

10. OP
    OP
    RedBike

RedBike New Member

Probably the same as I did. Scream

I was very lucky that the chain didn't snag anywhere and lock the rear wheel.

11. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

I had rear wheel lock with my first adapt-a-knackered-roadbike fixie. I was tanking down the chevrons in the middle of the road, to turn right at the lights. Oh yes, I screamed.

12. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

soil their pants, and their nice new skinny hipster jeans.

13. Zoiders

Zoiders New Member

I would wear them but all this cycling means that my legs dont fit in the skinny jeans for my waist size anymore