My fixies ill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

The chain on my fixie keeps coming off.

It's been fine for months but just recently it keeps jumping off whenever I try to slow the bike via the pedals.

There's plenty of tension in the chain (probably too much) and the chainlines about as perfect as i'm going to get it.

Any ideas?

domtyler

Über Member
How old (how many miles) is the chain?

andygates

And is your chainring or sprocket worn? Between that and the chain and Something Moving That Shouldn't, that's all that *can* go wrong :blush:

I'm having the same problem with my roadbike - any pressure on the chain and it's likely to come off.

I think it's because the chainring is oscillating slightly from side to side - just enough to throw the chain if I put pressure on when it's offline. It's flippin' dangerous - specially up hill.

Have a look at the chain rings.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Landslide said:
I had this problem and in my case the chainring bolts had come loose, resulting in the chainring flopping about.

I've buckled the chainring. I can't believe I didn't notice!
Oh well new ring ordered and hopefully problem solved.

Alan Frame said:
I wonder what those who advocate having no brakes on their fixed gear bike would do when their chain unshipped ?

Do what we did when we were kids - jam your foot down and wreck your shoes. Only this time without the bollocking from Mum.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Alan Frame said:
I wonder what those who advocate having no brakes on their fixed gear bike would do when their chain unshipped ?

Probably the same as I did. Scream

I was very lucky that the chain didn't snag anywhere and lock the rear wheel.

ASC1951

Guru
RedBike said:
Probably the same as I did. Scream

I was very lucky that the chain didn't snag anywhere and lock the rear wheel.
I had rear wheel lock with my first adapt-a-knackered-roadbike fixie. I was tanking down the chevrons in the middle of the road, to turn right at the lights. Oh yes, I screamed.

peejay78

Alan Frame said:

soil their pants, and their nice new skinny hipster jeans.

Top Bottom