My flat tyre caused by a bird seed and 'totalised' BMW experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I did my monthly car tyre inflation yesterday. As I was putting the dust cap back on the front right hand tyre I heard a hissing sound. Not thinking much of it, but thinking to be safe I won't put it back on fully, in case the dust cap somehow deflates the tyre. Anyway, I'd forgotten about it till this afternoon when I checked my tyres before driving off (as I always do) and noticed the same tyre was flat! :ohmy: What can I do I thought! I though about calling out a bloke who does road side tyre changes, as I presumed he'd be able to at least blow my tyre up. Hang on I thought, This'll cost you at least 50 quid! How about borrowing a foot pump.🤔 I asked a neighbour who didn't have such a thing, then thought why not ask the bloke who owns the MOT centre across the road. Yes, the same bloke I've slagged off on here quite a few times. What's to lose, he can only say no I thought. Anyway, I approached him timidly and asked if he had a pump I could borrow. Surprisingly he was quite ok and at first said he didn't have one, but then remembered he had a brought out a brand new one! "Oh thanks so much"! i said to him. Being even cheekier I asked if I could keep it for a while in case the tyre deflated again. Again he was ok and said "keep it as long as you need it". On the way out I couldn't help noticing a BMW that was caved in on the right hand side. I asked what had happened to it. He told me the driver had hit a tree at 70 mph, in a 30 mph zone!

View attachment 681560

View attachment 681561

I asked him how old the car was. He said it's only 4 months old!:ohmy: The car must be a wright off! Anyway, while I was pumping my tyre up a workman asked if I wanted him to do it for me as I was struggling to pump and prop myself up with my walking stick.

View attachment 681562

I sad yes, then thanked him when he'd pumped 25psi into the tyre which was enough to get me to an airline at a nearby petrol station. He asked for the dust cap to put back on. I told him that it's be best to leave the cap off, as for some reason the cap seems to have deflated the tyre. He asked for it, then looked inside the cap to find a bird seed. Yes, it was that tiny seed which was pressing on that tiny brass thing in the valve when the cap was screwed back on deflating the tyre! :blush: So there we have it! A bird seed had deflated my tyre overnight! Yes, I should've checked, but at least I didn't panic and call that roadside tyre fitter out who'd probably have said the valve was knackered and charged me for a new one fitting, plus call out fees.

That BMW costs about £37,500 brand new, for the basic one. 4 months old and it's a write off!!!:ohmy:

What a shoot colour as well! Who'd pay that much for a car, then settle for a primer grey colour! :rolleyes:

Mmm, someone took the BMW away half an hour ago. It was in the MOT centre for at least 5 months, that I knew of. 🤔

nc_ohc=8sDHasC07T8AX9ozxSj&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=r6cdZbA5NNYAX8kzepU&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=6k1vD1hpfOAAX8Nep8x&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Mmm, someone took the BMW away half an hour ago. It was in the MOT centre for at least 5 months, that I knew of. 🤔

View attachment 703977

View attachment 703978

View attachment 703979

That'll be driving round Bradford in a fortnight!

DRM

Guru
More likely that a stolen BMW with that car's chasis plates (or whatever they use these days) will be.

Exactly! that is a fine example of a breaker, as discussed further upthread, iirc it was mentioned that the V.I.N & V5C was the reason it had been bought, being the most valuable part of it!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I left my flat at 2.30 this aft' and saw a police van parked up near the MOT centre with a copper walking round with the MOT centre owner. When I got back at 6pm the police car below was parked up, than about 20 minutes later an unmarked cop car pulled up. The marked car left and the unmarked one took its place. I knew it was an unmarked police car as a female officer got out and started talking to the copper inside the marked one. Then the police van reappeared and drove round the block, then drove off. Now this is only what I've heard, not seen, but a neighbour told me she'd seen the MOT centre's owner being put into the back of a police car this aft' and taken away. We are now thinking dodgy dealings like cut and shuts, MOT passes on un-roadworthy cars stuff! As I post the unmarked car is still there outside the MOT centre. I'm so tempted to go over and ask what's happened, but she might tell me politely to do one! :rolleyes:

nc_ohc=Ho1n5SSDdd0AX-cJVId&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=3IyAaGiLofYAX8XQrA6&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I counted 12 engines being brought out the place on Friday afternoon. A forklift on a wagon turned up to move them. Each engine was photographed and labelled as it came out.The police were there throughout the day, only leaving when the owner locked the garage while the police watched on. The owner drove off and didn't open up on Saturday morning like he usually does and hasn't been open today. The place's door has been open every now and then, but that was to let those who rent the units in there to come and go. Mmmm, taking 12 engines away eh! It looks like something very dodgy has been happening in yon MOT centre!! 🤔

Nibor

Bewildered
It isn't the first cut and shut operation they have closed down in Great Harwood

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It isn't the first cut and shut operation they have closed down in Great Harwood

Mmm, I wonder which one it was. 🤔 There was that quite expensive second hand sorry, pre-loved :rolleyes: cars (mainly Audis) and repairs place at the bottom of Delph Road that was closed about 10 to 12 years ago when the owner got sent down for running a cocaine supply business alongside his garage business.🤔

Top Bottom