My flat tyre caused by a bird seed and 'totalised' BMW experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I did my monthly car tyre inflation yesterday. As I was putting the dust cap back on the front right hand tyre I heard a hissing sound. Not thinking much of it, but thinking to be safe I won't put it back on fully, in case the dust cap somehow deflates the tyre. Anyway, I'd forgotten about it till this afternoon when I checked my tyres before driving off (as I always do) and noticed the same tyre was flat! :ohmy: What can I do I thought! I though about calling out a bloke who does road side tyre changes, as I presumed he'd be able to at least blow my tyre up. Hang on I thought, This'll cost you at least 50 quid! How about borrowing a foot pump.🤔 I asked a neighbour who didn't have such a thing, then thought why not ask the bloke who owns the MOT centre across the road. Yes, the same bloke I've slagged off on here quite a few times. What's to lose, he can only say no I thought. Anyway, I approached him timidly and asked if he had a pump I could borrow. Surprisingly he was quite ok and at first said he didn't have one, but then remembered he had a brought out a brand new one! "Oh thanks so much"! i said to him. Being even cheekier I asked if I could keep it for a while in case the tyre deflated again. Again he was ok and said "keep it as long as you need it". On the way out I couldn't help noticing a BMW that was caved in on the right hand side. I asked what had happened to it. He told me the driver had hit a tree at 70 mph, in a 30 mph zone!

nc_ohc=qKKX9oDEt2sAX80CRQN&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=1YfXexAsVyUAX-bnvtd&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

I asked him how old the car was. He said it's only 4 months old!:ohmy: The car must be a wright off! Anyway, while I was pumping my tyre up a workman asked if I wanted him to do it for me as I was struggling to pump and prop myself up with my walking stick.

nc_ohc=mkzoQ2M6gLQAX8qXCoC&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

I sad yes, then thanked him when he'd pumped 25psi into the tyre which was enough to get me to an airline at a nearby petrol station. He asked for the dust cap to put back on. I told him that it's be best to leave the cap off, as for some reason the cap seems to have deflated the tyre. He asked for it, then looked inside the cap to find a bird seed. Yes, it was that tiny seed which was pressing on that tiny brass thing in the valve when the cap was screwed back on deflating the tyre! :blush: So there we have it! A bird seed had deflated my tyre overnight! Yes, I should've checked, but at least I didn't panic and call that roadside tyre fitter out who'd probably have said the valve was knackered and charged me for a new one fitting, plus call out fees.

That BMW costs about £37,500 brand new, for the basic one. 4 months old and it's a write off!!!:ohmy:

What a shoot colour as well! Who'd pay that much for a car, then settle for a primer grey colour! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There have been reports of climate activists putting things inside valve caps to deflate tyres and inconvenience owners though it has been mainly 4 wheel drive and SUV type vehicles.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There have been reports of climate activists putting things inside valve caps to deflate tyres and inconvenience owners though it has been mainly 4 wheel drive and SUV type vehicles.

No, it was a simple accidental thing. I'm always finding bird seeds in my jacket pockets due to me being a regular bird feeder. I always put my dust caps in my jacket pocket when tyre inflating, so that I can find them easily when needed. I should've checked the cap yesterday when I heard that hissing sound, but it was peeing down, blowing a gale and i just wanted to get back in my car asap!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Pass. It is often the bog standard basic colour you get with a car these days though. My ID4 is that colour.
Some people like it you know !

If I'd bought that BMW, not that I'd pay that much for a car when being a mere 3000 miles a year motorist, I would've had it in fluorescent pink, or fluorescent orange!!:becool: :laugh:

Edit...Maybe electric purple as well. 🤔

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Top tip, pop the valve cap in your mouth, or between your lips. Can't lose it then or get bird seed in it, unless you've been chomping on it.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Top tip, pop the valve cap in your mouth, or between your lips. Can't lose it then or get bird seed in it, unless you've been chomping on it.

Not really safe for me, due to not much feeling in my lips and mouth, meaning that I could end up swallowing it! How about sticking it in the ear canal? 🤔

:whistle:

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Remember a bicycle pump, particularly a track pump, can also pump car tyres. (providing you have a schraeder end on it). Takes a bit longer but perfectly doable as they tend to be better than often flaky cheap car pumps. Even did the exes landy tyres back in the day

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
He asked for the dust cap to put back on. I told him that it's be best to leave the cap off, as for some reason the cap seems to have deflated the tyre. He asked for it, then looked inside the cap to find a bird seed. Yes, it was that tiny seed which was pressing on that tiny brass thing in the valve, that when pressed deflates the tyre! :blush: So there we have it! A bird seed had deflated my tyre overnight! Yes, I should've checked, but at least I didn't panic and call that roadside tyre fitter out who'd probably have said the valve was knackered and charged me for a new

Now, I don't mean to sound funny, but have you never experienced a Schraeder Valve? 🤔😆

Top Bottom