My folding e-shopper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Emma - Hi, just found found your link that someone posted on my 'justification for lecci bike' thread. Just realised that its an old thread, maybe not monitored any more!
Wish I'd seen it earlier. I've fitted four conversion kits, involving various 'modifications', but not to the extent that yours did.
Yours sound like great fun, and as you say, a great way to learn about them.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Phil

These were just 2 of our conversions , I have used a 500w golden pie on a tadpole trike as well before settling on a xiongda 2 speed setup on one of my trikes and 3 q100 motors on the others , I have done about 4 e-bike conversions and half a dozen tadpole trike conversions .
The q100 motors are the most versatile motors and are quite forgiving when it comes to over-clocking them .

Ken is still using the e-shopper after 2 years of use and it is still going , with 4000 plus miles on the battery ( a second hand 37v LifePo4 ) and motor ( £35 delivered from chain reaction ) a 24v 700c motor running at 37v in a 20" wheel .

So in the last 2 years it is on its 3 or 4th throttle ( now we keep a plastic bag taped over the throttle as it stops the ingress of water when parked outside in the cycle racks at work )
Iit has eaten one set of folding pedals that were replaced by MTB ones and last week it ate its first chain ( it was still usable without pedaling for the journey home on e-power )
Apart from that the rear wheel collapsed last year ( a light weight rim split ) and was replaced by a heavier BMX one redished for the 5 speed freewheel .
More seriously the frame where the rear brake plate is fitted ripped away and I mig-ed it back together and the rack decided to break on the way home on night - the weight of the battery was the cause . It has eaten 2 pairs of cheap tyres before changing over to marathon tyre with slimed tubes .

It has been an exciting and educational project for Ken as it has taught him a lot about the marriage of available parts / maintenance of e-bikes over the past 2 years and how to repair them . WHAT PRICE EXPERIENCE they say .

here are our tadpoles with q100 motors
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/building-a-couple-of-20-wheel-tadpole-e-trike-from-scratch.166210/

Sadly Dennis my father in law passed away (86 ) last month and had only seen the photos of the finished e-bike but was pleased that the 30year old halfords ( made in Poland ) Apollo had a face lift and was still in service .

regards emma

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. Had a look at link, impressive. Looks like your conversions are 'slightly more complicated' than anything I've done:-)

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Thanks for reply. Had a look at link, impressive. Looks like your conversions are 'slightly more complicated' than anything I've done:-)

3 years ago there were not many e-bike experts to help much , so I took to finding out more , my projects helped me gain experience to build and repair .
The are still a few more projects in the pipeline I may share them later but now I have a lot of DIY home improvements to make including upgrades to my off grid solar system I have installed at home ( currently it provides the lighting for bungalow ) and want to extend it to the workshops as well .
The other is a pine doored wardrobe and I need to hone up my carpentry skills before I tackle that .

regards emma

Top Bottom