My folding e-shopper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Thanks for answering my question.

your welcome !!!!

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks

The folding e-shopper has been in daily use for the past month by Ken commuting yo work with a round trip of 11 miles .
The new 37v 10ah Lifepo4 battery gives a range of over 18 miles between charges . Although it has proved successful it has one flaw the calliper brakes are not good enough to stop it quickly from 15mph plus . , After a little thought I came up with an idea to fit a modified vee brake on the front . I cut the bridge from a set of suspension forks and reinforced the back and after shaping the bridge and applying a couple of coats of matt black paint it was ready to fit . a quick ride around the block tonight show a huge improvement in braking over the original brake.

here is the modified vee brake we fitted
front01.jpg
front02.jpg

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks

It's two months now that Ken has been using the e-shopper to commute to work
We have changed the tyres to some puncture proof ones and filled the tubes with slime ,as a precaution .

the other modification we have now carried out is the vee brakes on the front and rear , This modification works well and has improved the braking .
I would recommend this to anyone who wants to electrify an early bike with standard caliper brakes .

One of the rear rack bolts did work loose and we replaced them with new bolts and nyloc nuts just to be on the safe side .

regards emma.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
15 weeks into the year and the bike has done about 1000 miles ( 15 x60 ) work commute miles alone . Ken says "The bike is running well" but we have had a couple of niggles , The throttle ( twist grip ) started to misbehave last week and has been replaced and the ignition switch doesn't work in one direction .
The rear bags zipper has starting to play up as well .
The bike is quite responsive and the e-assist helps battle against the south westerly winds on his way home.

All in all, the project seems to be a success and the range is still " in excess of 20 miles per charge" as he has not needed to pedal it home due to a flat battery .

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
After a thousand or so miles another little opportunity has shown up as a folding pedal pedal bearings has worn out .

We have replaced them with standard MTB pedals , so far so good 1000 miles at 25mpg on the car represents over £250 in fuel ,so it has now paid for itself .

regards emma

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don't know anything about electric bikes and their speeds etc, but why is it a good thing that you've produced and use something illegal?

What a miserable so and so you are sir.

I like the bike but he distance you are getting on a charge is rubbish. In fact I would go as far as to say that it is not worth the bother. I had a Tonaro Enduro and could get 30 miles out of it without any problem.

If thats all i was getting per charge I would not have gone through the expense.

If you can improve on the distance it is an excellent project.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Steve

22 miles in one charge still with battery left , is good considering the motor/ battery combination .

So we have not gone far enough to test the range of the battery , 2 trips to work and return in one day has been the furthest traveled between charges .

This started out as a mamil beater ( which it does happily ) the motor came from Chain reaction and originally was a 24v motor designed for 700c wheels and its now running at 37v ( over run ) with a 300w controller in a 20" wheel . It has lots more low speed torque than a .normal e-bike , this has proved invaluable battling into the prevailing wind for 5 miles on the way home . an unusual bike choice for a commuter that does not attract the usual attention of tea leafs .it has the usual legal / off road connector on the controller and gives good performance in an off road situation .

Originally as a project to teach Ken the "ins and outs of e-bikes " rather than the out and out mile eating range of shop purchased Bikes that cost 3 or 4 times the £200 it cost to put together with everything added up .

As I have said in the past "What price experience "

£ for £ as a learning curve in building a e-bike from scratch it has provided a wealth of experience that most run of the mill "cyclists" will never get
coupled with the skills needed to maintain / build a e-bike from scratch and the chance to modify - tune and play with the system on a working bike to see how various parts can interact and be sourced for the project .

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks
Ken has been using the e-shopper now for a year as his daily commute to work bike
This year it has done just under 3000 MILES but it has eaten 1 pair of folding pedals ( replaced with MTB pedals ) 2 Throttles , one pair of tyres ( they were second hand ) and the rack cracked with the weight of the batery and the rack mount part of the frame cracked and I rewelded it .
so .
at fuel at 25 mpg ( vintage volvo ) , Not only has it paid for itself it has kept Ken going in windy weather on his 5mile each way commute along the exposed cycle path beside the English channel, the additional weight helping stabilize the bike .

So general consensus is a success - remember this was a 30 odd year old shopper that was reborn and it still eats a few unsuspecting mamils on the way.
:bicycle: :banghead: ........................:hyper::hyper::hyper:...............:cheers: happy Chrimbo :snowball: one each

regards emma

12boy

Guru
pardon my ignorance but I must wonder what a mamil might be? And Emma, I am so impressed by your skills in making, fixing and altering bikes, especially after reading how you build tadpoles.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
pardon my ignorance but I must wonder what a mamil might be? And Emma, I am so impressed by your skills in making, fixing and altering bikes, especially after reading how you build tadpoles.

Mamil stands for "middle aged man in lycra" :okay:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi Folks
Ken has been using the e-shopper now for a year as his daily commute to work bike
This year it has done just under 3000 MILES but it has eaten 1 pair of folding pedals ( replaced with MTB pedals ) 2 Throttles , one pair of tyres ( they were second hand ) and the rack cracked with the weight of the batery and the rack mount part of the frame cracked and I rewelded it .
so .
at fuel at 25 mpg ( vintage volvo ) , Not only has it paid for itself it has kept Ken going in windy weather on his 5mile each way commute along the exposed cycle path beside the English channel, the additional weight helping stabilize the bike .

So general consensus is a success - remember this was a 30 odd year old shopper that was reborn and it still eats a few unsuspecting mamils on the way.
:bicycle: :banghead: ........................:hyper::hyper::hyper:...............:cheers: happy Chrimbo :snowball: one each

regards emma

Many thanks for keeping us up to date with how things are going. I like reading about the progress made. Thank you.

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker

Mamil stands for "middle aged man in lycra" :okay:

Thank you Guys ,
One mamil caught Ken up a couple of weeks ago huffing and a puffing took him a couple of miles , his first thought ken was super fit , before seeing the front hub motor then called him a cheat :bicycle:
Got to do something in retirement or I would vegetate

regards emma

Top Bottom