My friend's killer gets sentenced...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gouldina

bridgy said:
...to 150 hours community service.

A friend was killed on her bike by a reckless driver near Bath last year, leaving her 1 year old son without a Mum.

Oh God. I'm so sorry to hear this. I just can't see how this is a reasonable sentence, new driver or not. Sickening.

OP
OP
bridgy

bridgy

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies and condolences. Not sure what a custodial sentence would achieve - this lady has 4 innocent children of her own, and has to live with what she's done - but at the very least a driving ban for only 2 years seems derisory - particularly as it appears she initially lied to police.

All deaths on the roads are tragic, and when its a bike involved it hits home to us as cyclists. For me this case is obviously even more shocking as Sarah was a friend, and I too have young children - seeing her little boy at the wake after her funeral was and still is heart wrenching. Also, while some incidents make me as a cyclist concious of being more careful in certain situations this one is scary as none of us stand a chance if a car ploughs into the back of us in that way.

I feel more sad than angry about it, and as with many other posters my heart goes out to Sarah's husband, family and friends.

Kaipaith said:
So very sorry for you and her family Bridgy. I hope that her husband regains his emotional strength and that her baby is brought up in her memory.

This is absolutely appalling. The driver killed someone, then lies about it (claiming that the cyclist swerved), but is now "devastated."

So that makes it OK then.

I don't swear very often, but that is just ****ing wrong.

Agree 100%...sickening.:laugh:

NigC

It's another very sad story :laugh:

My best wishes to the family and friends left behind.

Is there such a thing as a lifetime driving ban? And would that make any difference to drivers attitudes?

It's impossible to know what my reaction would be if I had been the driver in a situation such as this. I know one thing: I would be near-suicidal with remorse and quite probably impose my own lifetime driving ban.

No driver deliberately travels with the intention of losing concentration, but for some people it seems easier than others. Perhaps these people should never be allowed to have any control over any such deadly machinery.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
User3143 said:
:laugh::laugh: Good 'ole Wikipedia - in terms of reference is only slightly ahead of ''Yahoo answers'' in terms of reliability.

So you just ignore the reference, which is taken straight from legal guidance, and dismiss it because you think Wikipedia is sometimes unreliable. OK, fine, how about the CPS then, is that good enough?

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/...ance_on_prosecuting_cases_of_bad_driving/#a08

I can't understand why you're being a bit of an obstinate dick.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Crankarm said:
When I was knocked down 11 years ago on a roundabout by a speeding ba$tard called Frank Leigh, one of the coppers that attended told me that he (the copper) was a cyclist, he wasn't fat I hasten to add but looked pretty lean so I believed him so not just bullsh1t, anyway, he was going to make sure Mr Leigh was prosecuted. He was, but only with careless driving, but at least the ba$tard was prosecuted and convicted and then I sued him or his insurers. The magistrates were a bit weak, they gave him 3 points and a £120 fine, however they must have believed my account and evidence as it took them a matter of seconds to find Leigh guilty. Leigh and his counsel tried to make out I was swerving and wobbling all over the road which I wasn't and fortunately two witnesses backed up that I wasn't. The lying scumbag.

Crank, a positive story from you about us coppers...are you not well sir? :laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
Vikeonabike said:
Crank, a positive story from you about us coppers...are you not well sir? :ohmy:

Indeed Vike. There are a few. I wonder if he is still in the force? Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but he was good. I am sure you are from the same mould ;).

Crankarm

Guru
benb said:
So you just ignore the reference, which is taken straight from legal guidance, and dismiss it because you think Wikipedia is sometimes unreliable. OK, fine, how about the CPS then, is that good enough?

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/...ance_on_prosecuting_cases_of_bad_driving/#a08

I can't understand why you're being a bit of an obstinate dick.

Sorry to disappoint you but Wikipedia is NOT an authoritative or recognised source for legal cases and comment.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
User3143 said:
You should read your own link before you post. Was there intent, AND did the driver want to kill the cylist?

I think the CPS know a little more about the case and the law then you or I. And what did they charge the driver with?

No, no. You said, as a matter of unassailable fact, that it "wasn't manslaughter". No ifs or buts. It's clear from the guidance I posted that you could argue that it was (intent doesn't come into it, otherwise it would be murder). The fact that the CPS didn't charge them with manslaughter just means they thought a conviction of death by dangerous driving was more likely.

Crankarm

Guru
benb said:
No, no. You said, as a matter of unassailable fact, that it "wasn't manslaughter". No ifs or buts. It's clear from the guidance I posted that you could argue that it was (intent doesn't come into it, otherwise it would be murder). The fact that the CPS didn't charge them with manslaughter just means they thought a conviction of death by dangerous driving was more likely.

Actually she pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving. If the CPS had felt the prospect of securing a conviction for causing death by dangerous driving was likely they would have gone for that, but they didn't.

Straight arrow . . .

I would like to draw attention, as a local, to what for me is the most disturbing aspect of this case:

The road in question is arrow straight, well-lit, and of reasonable width.

So how could such a thing have happened?

On the face of it, if you hit a clearly visible obstacle on a road like that, you are a danger to yourself, as well as to other road users. Still, I can imagine how it could have happened: distracted by passenger (an issue not taken at all seriously these days) both peering into Nissan forecourt (which runs back quite a way from the road), cyclist not considered a 'serious' road user . . . It's a whole collection of incidents and attitudes, some down to society, some down to the individual. The society ones we can at least campaign to change. The individual ones -perhaps we need to look at driving examiners. They have a huge responsibility for deeming someone fit to drive. Perhaps the DOT needs to look at the pressures and incentives on them, the general attitudes they have, and the rules to which they work. I think a lot of pressure to put unsuitable drivers on the road comes from the fact that we have now arranged society around such a massive dependence on the car that it becomes a serious limitation (perceived or real) on someone's freedom and earning power if they can't drive.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
+1 to all that recumbentpanda said. I've been looking for some of those words for a while. What an eminently sensible post.

Crankarm

Guru
The killer of Major Rys Evans was a young lady, Katie Hart, who had also very recently passed her test prior to the collision. She ploughed into Major Evans on an empty dual carriageway. She too could give no explanation for her vehicle hitting him. There are many similarities. As has been suggested perhaps the DOT driving test and training is not as rigorous or complete as it should be.

Top Bottom