My Good Deed For The Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Walking to the train station this morning just before 7:00am - off to The Smoke to see a Ronald Searle exhibition in Little Russel Street :blush:.

End of the road I saw a bike on the pavement opposite laid on its side. So although tight for time, trains, etc., I thought I'd have a look - I'd got it in my mind, BSO leave it, nice bike take it home and ring plod later.

Got over the road and it was quite a nice Dawes hybrid - suppressing any thought of 'it's a nice a nice bike I'll have it for myself' I decided to stick with the take it home and call the cops method.

As I was picking the bike up I suddenly thought this bike looks kind of familiar and I had it in mind it was my next door but one neighbour's bike. So I took the bike home and ran down to the station so that I could arrive on time and soaked in sweat. I rang him when it was a decent hour and it turned out it was his bike - some scrote had got into his garage and pinched it.

He was absolutely delighted to get his bike back and I had the warm rosey glow of a good deed doer. :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that was a good stroke of luck.. nice one.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My good deal for the day was not tracking down the farmer who wrecked the middle section on today's National Cylosportive and loaning him a biro...through that bit of flesh just below the adam's apple.

longers

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
He was absolutely delighted to get his bike back and I had the warm rosey glow of a good deed doer. :blush:

Bet he was chuffed!

How were the scribbles?

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Now how did I not know about the Cartoon Museum! :/

Well done with the bike :wahhey: Bet your neighbor dude was well pleased with that result :shy:

longers

Legendary Member
Didn't know he'd been a POW, were there many of those sketches?

A friend was given one of his scribbles in lieu of work done years ago. Not seen it as he's got it tucked away safe, hopefully.

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
longers said:
Didn't know he'd been a POW, were there many of those sketches?

A friend was given one of his scribbles in lieu of work done years ago. Not seen it as he's got it tucked away safe, hopefully.

Quite a few sketches, longers - his first book (published 1946) was called 'Forty Drawings' and is of his time as a POW, there where only 500 printed so it's quite a rare book now :wahhey: - 'To the Kwai and Back' has many of the same drawings and is still available, really nice book.

Your friend should get his scribble framed and up on the wall - if it is an original drawing it will be worth a lot of money.

I was going to shops on the bike just before I had to get home to get ready for my night shift. I saw a lady on a trike (normal one) cross the road, then tip over. Her friend and I blockaded that side of the road, as we didn't think she should be moved, called an ambulance and I waited with them until the fire crew (just 100 yds down the road) came, as the ambulance didn't come. It turned out to be the Lady Mayor - and she sent me some flowers! Fortunately she suffered nothing serious.

Top Bottom